1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prescribed slope

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    "Prescribed slope"

Ok, so the prof gave us a list of topics and sample questions to focus on for the midterm. This is one of them:

Find all values of x where the graph of a given function has a prescribed slope.

I take this to mean, "find all the values of x where the given function is differentiable," or just find the values of x where it is not differentiable and say that everywhere else, it is differentiable. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: "Prescribed slope"

Sounds reasonable to me, although "prescribed slope" is not a term I'm familiar with. You should get clarification from your prof.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    Re: "Prescribed slope"

Another interpretation could be that he will prescribe the slope, e.g. 5, and you will need to find where the derivative equals that. I agree that you should get clarification.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook