Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Present for finishing PhD

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    Hi!

I have the following problem:

A have a friend who is finishing her PhD and I wanted to give her a present.

Altough I know her for more than 6 years, I have absolutely no idea what to give her.

Here are a few things which could help to find an idea:
    - she will work outside physics, so maybe something which "reminds" her of her physics studies?
    - she does not like "girlish" things
    - she likes cats

I would be glad if some of you have any suggestions :-)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 4, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe give her Schrodinger's kitten?

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4
    An alive or dead one? :woot:

EDIT: Here's an image search for Schrödinger's cat t-shirts/clothes.

EDIT 2: Maybe some artwork related to physics? You could order a print/have it printed and framed. Here's a site I found: http://fineartamerica.com/art/paintings/physics/all. I personally only like just a couple on that page, but there are many images, which may give you some idea, perhaps. Personally I like e.g. this one: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/floyd-in-3d-simulation-meir-ezrachi.html.
    But tastes vary, of course...:smile:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  6. Apr 4, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'd probably avoid giving her more stuff unless you're fairly certain she'd like it. On the other hand, something like a gift card from a nice restaurant is usually a safe bet, especially if you can pick a place she might have never seriously considered because it was too expensive, etc.

7. Apr 4, 2015 #6
    A bottle of wine.

8. Apr 4, 2015 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Or maybe a PF T-shirt. A good bottle of wine would be good, unless she doesn't drink alcohol.

Or something related to one of her hobbies, if she has hobbies. I would imagine there are hints in her office.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Apr 5, 2015 #8

Hepth

Gold Member

Also a nice frame for her PhD certificate is a good idea. Nothing cheap. Nice solid wood, real glass. Sometimes parents end up getting this though, not sure.

Or wine. Get her a nice Barolo(Italian, Piemontese) from the year she started her PhD in.

10. Apr 5, 2015 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Apr 8, 2015 #10
    I agree with the idea that you'd give her a PF T-shirt which is more memorable. I am sad to hear that she only like cats, always have and always will.
    Otherwise you can give her a puppy :angel:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook