Present this matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices question

In summary, the authors are discussing how to multiply two elementary matrices. The first step is to row-reduce the matrix A to obtain its elementary matrices. Next, the authors posit that the inverse of each elementary matrix is also an elementary matrix. Finally, they show that the product of the elementary matrices is A.
transgalactic
how to present this matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices
[tex]
\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
0 &6 &2 \\
1& 1 &0 \\
5&3 &1
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)
[/tex]

i can't understand in general what are they doing in this solution
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9508/34036247.th.gif

??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "I understand in general". Do you know how to "row-reduce" a matrix? Every "row-operation" corresponds to an elementary matrix: the matrix you get by performing that same row operation on the identity matrix.

There are many different ways to row-reduce any matrix but I like to start on the left and clear one column at a time. For example, I might, as the first step in row-reduction, swap the first two rows, going from
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 5 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
to
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 5 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Which corresponds to the elementary matrix we get by swapping the first two rows in the identity matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The next thing I might do is subtract 5 times the (new) first row from the third.
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 0 & -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and that corresponds to the elementary matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -5 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
What we have done so far corresponds to the product of those two elementary matrices. Continue to row-reduce and write down the corresponding elementary matrix. Be careful about the order of multiplication.

so when multiply all the elementary matrices
i get the original one

but they multiply only the first 4??

and i can't understand what's E what F in the equations
??

transgalactic said:
so when multiply all the elementary matrices
i get the original one

but they multiply only the first 4??

and i can't understand what's E what F in the equations
??

There are 6 elementary matrices. I don't see where they are multiplying "only the first 4".
The "E" matrices are the elementary matrices corresponding to the row operations needed to row-reduce matrix A. The "F" matrices are their inverses (which are also elementary matrices). A is the product of the "F" matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:
i looked in a paper r and when there are operations like L1-5L2->L2
then on the elemtary matrix part
they say
L1+5L2->L2
i was told that its because they was to create elementary matrices which are invertable to itself X=X^-1
E1*E2*E3*...*A=I
so
E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..*E1*E2*E3*...*A=I*E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..
so
A=E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..
but the inverses are the as the originals so we just need to multiply the
elementary matrices
correct??

1. What does it mean to present a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices?

Presenting a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices means expressing the given matrix as a product of simple matrices, known as elementary matrices. This is done by performing a series of elementary row operations on the given matrix, such as swapping rows, multiplying a row by a scalar, or adding a multiple of one row to another. By doing so, we can transform the given matrix into an identity matrix, and the sequence of elementary matrices used in this process can be multiplied together to obtain the original matrix.

2. Why is it useful to present a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices?

Presenting a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices can be useful in solving systems of linear equations, calculating determinants and inverses, and understanding the properties of a given matrix. It also allows for easier computations and can provide insight into the structure of a matrix.

3. Can any matrix be presented as a multiplication of elementary matrices?

Yes, any square matrix can be presented as a multiplication of elementary matrices. However, the process may not always be unique, as there may be different sequences of elementary matrices that can lead to the same result.

4. How do you perform elementary row operations to present a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices?

To present a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices, we need to perform elementary row operations in a specific order. First, we perform any necessary row swaps to get the desired leading entries. Next, we multiply a row by a scalar to get a leading entry of 1. Finally, we use row addition to eliminate all other entries in the same column as the leading entry. This process is repeated until the entire matrix is in reduced row echelon form, which will result in an identity matrix.

5. Are there any drawbacks to presenting a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices?

One drawback of presenting a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices is that it can be time-consuming for larger matrices. Additionally, it may not always be necessary or useful to present a matrix in this form, as other methods may be more efficient for certain computations. It is important to consider the specific problem at hand and determine if presenting a matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices is the most appropriate approach.