1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Presentation of modules

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let k be a field and k[x] be the set of polynomials over that field. Given that M is a module with presentation
    [tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1+ 3x & 2x & 3x \\ 1 + 2x & 1+ 2x -x^2 & 2x \\ x & x^2 & x \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
    determine M.

2. Relevant equations
    One can apply elementary row and column operations. In the event that one reduces a row or column to the point that there is only one non-zero element and that element is a unit, we can remove the row and column of that unit and the corresponding presentation is isomorphic to the original one.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So what we have here originally is a exact sequence
    [tex] k[x]^3 \xrightarrow{\phi} k[x]^3 \to M \to 0 [/tex]
    so that we may take [itex] M \cong \text{coker}\phi [/itex].

If I play around with the matrix a bit, I can reduce it to (x) modulo mistakes in my matrix manipulation. Thus we get a new homomorphism
    [tex] k[x] \xrightarrow{\varphi} k[x] \to \tilde M \to 0 [/tex]
    with [itex] \tilde M \cong M [/itex].

So here's the part I'm not too sure about. We have [itex] \varphi: k[x] \to k[x] [/itex], so does this mean that [itex] 1 \mapsto x [/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. In fact, we have here that [tex]M\cong k[X]/\xi(k[X])[/tex], where [itex]\xi[/itex] is the map associated with the matrix. So, we have [tex]M\cong k[X]/(X)\cong k[/tex] here.

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks micromass.

Yeah, that's what I had originally. Though I started doubting myself as to whether the image of the homomorphism was really just the ideal generated by x.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No need to doubt yourself :smile: The image of a k[X]-module is always a k[X]-module. Thus you can expect the image of k[X] to be a submodule of k[X], and submodules of k[X] are exactly the ideals of k[X].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook