1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Presentation of

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    proove that
    < x0 , x1 , . . . | [xi , xj ] = 1, i, j, ∈ N_0 ; x0^p = 1 ; (xi) ^ (p ^ i) = x0 , i ∈ N > is not presentation of Prüfer group

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

Please do learn quickly how to type in LaTeX in this site: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

I'll try to edit your post (and, perhaps, address it):

Prove (please, of course), that [tex]\langle x_0,x_1,...\,\,|\,\,[x_i,x_j]=1\,,\,i,j\in\mathbb{N}\,,\,x_0^p=1\,,\,x_i^{p^i}=x_0\,,\,i\in\mathbb{N}\rangle[/tex] is not a presentation of the Prüfer group.

Now, the Prüfer group must fulfill the conditions [itex]\,x^p_i=x_{i-1}\,,\,i=1,2,3,...\,[/itex], but by your definition we'd have [tex]x_1^p=x_0\,,\,x_2^{p^2}=x_0=x_1^p\Longrightarrow [/tex]and I can't see how we can deduce from this that [itex]\,x_2^p=x_1\,[/itex] , as we're not sure we can take [itex]p-th[/itex] roots...

Another possible approach: to show that an epimorphism from an infinitely generated abelian free sugroup to one of the groups is not the same for the other one...

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook