Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

President Bush and his iPod

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=13388&Page=1&pagePos=1

I can't believe I voted for this guy....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2
    Aretha Franklin? Ha! That's Awesome!

I can't believe I didn't vote for this guy!! (well, not really)

4. Dec 17, 2005 #3
    Hehe!

Amazing, a Nixon-wannabe listens to the Beatles for fun. Am I the only person on the face of the earth who thinks they suck?

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4

Mk

You expected him to be listening to Green Day, Audioslave, and Linkin Park?

I thought his playslists sounds pretty cool. In fact, I stole and hacked his ipod, now I have Dick Cheney's home number. Prank calling anyone?

6. Dec 17, 2005 #5
    I think the last thing we need is an 'emo' president. I personally think his taste isn't that bad.

7. Dec 17, 2005 #6

Mk

Nixon-wannabe? Kind of harsh, and completely untrue, don't use such overexaggeration and facts to back up your statement, and you might not sound so ten-year-old.
    Uhm, yes. They are arguably, the top selling artist in the world.

8. Dec 17, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hated the beatles :mad:

9. Dec 17, 2005 #8
    Hurrah, there are two of us!

10. Dec 17, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Is it just me or are people absolutely nuts with their music? I mean mp3s on their computer, ipods, in their cars.... the hells with people

11. Dec 17, 2005 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, one person and one penguin.

It's a bit outdated, but Bush's music list ain't bad. If he ran again, I'd laugh less before voting for his opponent.

12. Dec 17, 2005 #11
    Seeing the reactions this is getting from all of you, I have to wonder if this was not some sort of PR stunt after all... if some guy with a degree in marketing prepared the iPod and trained the President how to pronounce all the proper names. The President still mispronounced some of them, though.

13. Dec 17, 2005 #12
    I don't really care for the beatles either.

14. Dec 17, 2005 #13
    The beatles were a band not an artist, a very good one, but if you are also gonna make statements like that you should also back up your statement, but I think you will find it false regardless :-)

15. Dec 17, 2005 #14
    Well, technically they are artists.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  16. Dec 17, 2005 #15

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What were you expecting him to listen to? Dying baby seals?

17. Dec 17, 2005 #16

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's standard to refer to bands as artists in this context. The Beatles are the top-selling artist in the US:

Recording Industry Association of America

I don't know how they stand worldwide. Last I'd heard, ABBA was outselling them, but I don't know if that's still true.

18. Dec 17, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

If they were Iraqi baby seals, yes.
    I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule about bands in general, but they're certainly categorized as 'artists' for indexing and reference purposes. And the Beatles were the best as far as I'm concerned. By that, I mean that if I could only listen to one artist for the rest of my life, there's no question that I would choose them. You can't possibly get bored of a selection that ranges from 'She Loves You' through 'Come Together' to 'Fool on the Hill'. Their variety was incredible. That's one reason why I also love Elton John's stuff.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  19. Dec 17, 2005 #18
    Yeah I have to agree with Danger here, I would choose the Beatles if I could only listen to one group/artist/band/whatever for the rest of my life.

20. Dec 17, 2005 #19
    Yeh but it isnt standard to refer to a band as an artist (singular).

Thats just wrong... How can a group of people be refered to in the singular?

21. Dec 18, 2005 #20

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you should write an angry email to the Recording Industry Association of America explaining why their use of the word "artist" is inappropriate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?