Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

President of the World

1. I am an American voting for Bush

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. I am an American voting for Kerry

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. I am an American voting for neither

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. I am not an American but would vote for Bush

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. I am not an American but would vote for Kerry

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I am not an American and would vote for neither

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Sep 11, 2004 #1
    Which of the following categories do you qualify for?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2004 #2
    There you go.

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    I like the ieda of everyone voting for a third party and ending the two-party system (which is too easily controlled). However, since people won't do that, I recommend everyone vote for the option which has the best chance of removing Bush. It's only half a solution, but better than nothing.

5. Sep 11, 2004 #4
    I have a better solution. Australians don't recommend to Americans who to elect President of the United States, and Americans don't recommend to Australians who to elect Prime Minister.

6. Sep 11, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adam is NOT an Australian. He is a Worldian.

7. Sep 11, 2004 #6
    Oh. So he can vote in our elections I assume?

8. Sep 11, 2004 #7
    How about "I'm allowed to have an opinion"?

9. Sep 11, 2004 #8
    Why do you have a problem with it? A person should be able to offer an opinion or advice regardless of national origin or location.

10. Sep 11, 2004 #9
    I am an american and I am not voting for either person

the reason

i am not old ennough to vote

11. Sep 11, 2004 #10
    Because Republicans collectively have a strong case of xenophobia, along with an incapacity to handle dissent/disagreement, so if a foreigner wants something other than them, whoo boy, watch out na! :rofl:

Of course Australians shouldn't (and don't) have any say in how Americans vote, but on a multi-national internet forum, I think they should at least be allowed to say "I am not an American but would vote for Kerry". I don't see what the big deal is Russ, have you ever heard of someone's vote being swayed by the opinions of people who don't live in their country? Hell, a poll recently came out showing that most every country in Europe besides Poland vastly preferred Kerry over Bush, some by margins of like 60 to 10, but did Kerry get any bounce in the polls because the vast majority of German and English people like him more than Bush?

Here's a link to a story about that study, with the numbers presented in the study: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3640754.stm

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  12. Sep 11, 2004 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suppose this solution also applies to Americans suggesting who should lead Palestinians?

13. Sep 11, 2004 #12
    Or Iraqi's for that matter :biggrin:

14. Sep 12, 2004 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

my opinion is, if you are over age 18 in america and complain about politics, you better be registered to vote...otherwise, you are a hypocrite.

15. Sep 12, 2004 #14
    Either that or be doing something to overthrow democracy as a whole.

16. Sep 14, 2004 #15
    I cannot vote for any president american or any other. For us, puertorricans living in Puerto Rico, that right doesn't apply.

17. Sep 14, 2004 #16
    So, why should I care?

18. Sep 14, 2004 #17
    I know next to nothing about Puerto Rico's legal status, but from what I think I know, it's like a territory of the USA, right? You do at least get to elect local governments, right? Obviously you don't have Senators, but do you have any members in congress? Do you pay federal taxes to the American government? If you pay taxes and don't have any representatives in the legislative branch and can't decide on America's leader, well that's just horrible, and you should try to do something about that. Hell, revolt if you have to, taxation without representation is one of the big reasons the American colonists revolted against the English.

Though if you plan on revolting, I'd advise you wait until Bush's out of office, he's got tons of the more radical guys from the Reagan administration on board, and you probabally know how the Reagan administration dealt with uprisings in Latin America.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  19. Sep 14, 2004 #18
    Puerto Rico is perfectly free to vote themselves an independent country if they wish. But that would mean losing out on lots of benefits.

20. Sep 14, 2004 #19
    As I said, I have next to no knowledge about Puerto Rico. I'm gonna take what you said on faith, that they can vote themselves independent if they want but won't because attachment to the USA is beneficial to them. However, don't you think that while Puerto Rico's current status may be better than they could do on your own, don't you think they should have some representatives in the legislative branch?

P.S. Kerry, landslide!
    The poll shows that the entire amount of people in the world (on this sub-forum of a physics forum) who want to vote for Bush don't number as many as the people who are in America and will vote Kerry!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  21. Sep 14, 2004 #20
    Washington, DC's motto (on their license plate) is "Taxation without Representation." They pay taxes but do not have senators or a representative. The US Congress actually had tried to block this declaration of protest!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?