Who Will Be the Next President of the USA?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary: If you think Kerry's so bad then vote for Mickey Mouse or something, Christ.Washington, DC's motto (on their license plate) is "Taxation without Representation." They pay taxes but do not have senators or a representative. The US Congress actually had tried to block this declaration of protest!In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of voting for the upcoming election, with different opinions being expressed on who should be voted for. One person suggests a third party or the option that has the best chance of removing Bush, while another person believes that foreigners should not have a say in American politics. The conversation also mentions the situation in Puerto Rico, where residents do not have the right to vote for the American president

Which of the following categories do you qualify for?

• I am an American voting for Bush

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I am an American voting for Kerry

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I am an American voting for neither

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I am not an American but would vote for Bush

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am not an American but would vote for Kerry

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I am not an American and would vote for neither

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
Loren Booda said:
physicsuser,

I can only see that your argument might be valid in conflicts with which the majority of American citizens themselves strongly disagree.
What, besides WWI, WWII and Gulf War I did the American public strongly approve that resulted in liberated nations?

Physics news on Phys.org
South Korea, Balkans, Nicaragua, Grenada...feel free to add to the list, those more informed.

Loren Booda said:
South Korea, Balkans, Nicaragua, Grenada...feel free to add to the list, those more informed.
Umm...
I kinda meant "liberated" in a sense where we did more than just kill people, I should have said "liberated and made a good place". I don't know too much about the Balkans, but I'm fairly sure they're still doing pretty crappy, and don't get me started on Nicaragua, Fascist terrorists were given handbooks on how to perpetrate terrorist acts against the Sandinistas/general populace, funded/trained/armed with illegal money we got from selling weapons to Iranian terrorists, caused mass chaos and violence, took power back, and now Nicaragua's like the second or third poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

And besides, Nicaragua was covert and a huge scandal when it broke, people didn't actually support it did they?

Last edited:
wasteofo2,

I think you're basically right concerning Nicaragua; how about El Salvador instead?

Loren Booda said:
wasteofo2,

I think you're basically right concerning Nicaragua; how about El Salvador instead?
I don't know :confused:

When I asked "What, besides WWI, WWII and Gulf War I did the American public strongly approve that resulted in liberated nations?", it was a genuine question, not me trying to say that nothing besides those 3 incidents had resulted in liberated nations. I'm only 16 and the NY state ciriculum is so tight that I learn a lot of useless crap about History (I could go on and on about the Visigoths), but there's no real time for anything modern to be taught, since modern stuff isn't on the state exams.

Though I was under the vague impression that bassically everything we've ever done in South/Central America (as far as military action) has resulted in horribly crappy outcomes where dictators take over and do the typical dictator type stuff or you get mafia style Democracy like they had in Russia until just a while ago when Putin decided Democracy wasn't such a hot idea.

Loren Booda said:
I named the topic "President of the World" for a number of reasons. The U. S. has, as far as I know, an electorate most representational of the world's nationalities. Also, our president - like him or not - has more influence over the people and policies of the world than any other leader. Perhaps ironically, America and its presidents, since securing our own liberty, have insured the freedom and independence for much of the world.

I was actually hopping for a better answer...I mean...it was better for you to say that you forgot that the US is not the WORLD!
Sure US have a lot of power, principally military power. But you really think that the president of US deserve to be named "president of the world"? You really think that the US have to intervene in the way other countries act? In EVERY discussion between two countries? (not to mention that when US is on the side of one of those countries, and that is ALWAYS, the US president assume to always know (like he was god) what is the fair thing to do and who has the reason)
You see the US as a world savior, but that perception doesn't imply that you are assuming that other countries are incapable of taking the right decisions or resolving their own problems?...doesn't that perception imply that you see the US ( and in consequence, people from US) as superior?...that is racism
You know, if you analyze what you have said:
" Also, our president - like him or not - has more influence over the people and policies of the world than any other leader"
you would conclude that the correct name for the thread should be
" DICTATOR of the world"
you are right...he has a lot of power over a lot of people that didn't vote for him... As you said ...like him or not, and that's really sad-LIKE IT OR NOT.

JohnDubYa said:
Oh. So he can vote in our elections I assume?
Why shouldn't Adam vote in our election? Everyone else in the world is.
Illegal aliens have been registered too, since under Motor Voter, any recipient of government benefits can sign up to vote -- no questions asked. Did that wide-open door to fraud cost former GOP Congressman Robert Dornan his seat in Congress? An investigation by the Immigration and Naturalization Service following Dornan's 1996 defeat by Democrat Loretta Sanchez found that 4,023 noncitizens may have cast ballots in that election. Dornan lost by 984 votes.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/jj20040920.shtml
Thank you President Clinton for the Motor Voter Act.

I am not an American but i have a question for all USA-people here. Beeing a European myself I don't really know a lot about the intern US-policy, i mean sugjects like social security and so on...In Belgium for example if you got no job you receive about 600 to 700 euro's social security. Do you guys in the US have an analogue system and how much do you get when you fall out of work ?

Another thing i want to know, here if you gain a certain amount of money you pay about 50 percent taxes...how much do you pay in the US?

regards
marlon

fisipavia,

Most of all, the title "President of the World" is poetic and does not reflect my belief that the U. S. should rule the world. It would indeed be against the democratic process, dictatorial, to assume that 3% of the world's population should decide policy for the other 97%.

marlon said:
I am not an American but i have a question for all USA-people here. Beeing a European myself I don't really know a lot about the intern US-policy, i mean sugjects like social security and so on...In Belgium for example if you got no job you receive about 600 to 700 euro's social security. Do you guys in the US have an analogue system and how much do you get when you fall out of work ?

Another thing i want to know, here if you gain a certain amount of money you pay about 50 percent taxes...how much do you pay in the US?

regards
marlon
We have an unemployment insurance program here in the States.
# In general, benefits are based on a percentage of an individual's earnings over a recent 52-week period - up to a State maximum amount.
# Benefits can be paid for a maximum of 26 weeks in most States.

Our highest federal tax rate is 35%, but we also have to pay state taxes. The state tax rate varies from state to state. And there is city and county taxes in someplaces.

Still one question...

Suppose you have a college degree in applied science and you want to work in high-tech-industry. How much would you make a month in the US? I heard from a Belgium-professor at MIT (Pattie Maes) that you make a lot more in the US then in Europe, especially when you are highly educated. Is this a general truth in industry also ?

What are the incomes for a engineer working in chemical-industry for example or an electronical engineer developping high-tech machinery...

Thanks,
marlon

Let us all europeans move to the kingdom of liberalism ! :wink:
I think it is true. But it is more dangerous, as you might have noticed.

marlon said:
Still one question...

Suppose you have a college degree in applied science and you want to work in high-tech-industry. How much would you make a month in the US? I heard from a Belgium-professor at MIT (Pattie Maes) that you make a lot more in the US then in Europe, especially when you are highly educated. Is this a general truth in industry also ?

What are the incomes for a engineer working in chemical-industry for example or an electronical engineer developping high-tech machinery...

Thanks,
marlon
That is one on America's biggest problems, we are the largest brain drain in the world. We do pay the best. I am an electronic technician, no degree, and I make $45,000 a year. My wife is a Civil Designer, 2 year degree, and she makes $40,000 a year. I have a friend in Hungary who is a system administer for a large corporation and he makes about $20,000 a year. If he was in the States, he would be making at least $60,000 with his experience and training, of course the cost of living is higher here.

I would suggest that you start your job search online with
Monster Have you ever visited the States?

I am engineer in physics, I am getting my PhD right now in physics in the US. I am strongly considering stealing one of your positions :wink:

Why do you say brain drain is a problem for you !? I guess you could stop it.

Outcast,...

Thanks very much for your reply...very interesting.

I have a master degree in theoretical fysics and i will be studying for two more years in order to become an engineer. My dream is to help developing machinery that is used in hospitals or radiology for example. So you can say i am mainly interested in nuclear physics and nanotechnology and stuff like that.

My worry is that if you have studied at a university in Belgium (Ghent) will they accept my degrees in the US ? Generally it is very well known that math education is of a very high standard in Belgium even already in high-school. Also lagnuages are quite ok in here because every student will speak Dutch, French, English and a little bit of German at least...

Are these properties a big advantage or not in the US. I mean (don't get me wrong here) are educated foreigners regarded as an solid economic source in your country and are they given the chance to develop themselves ?

Basically what i am asking is the following : is the USA really the land of opportunities ?
If so, i'll be there in 2006 or 2007 (i think California is the best right? I mean for high-tech-industries and nice girls :smile: )

regards
marlon

Last edited:
Basically what i am asking is the following : is the USA really the land of opportunities ?

Why not apply for some jobs and find out?

If you are looking for nice, sweet, wholesome girls may I suggest the San Fernando Valley? :)

marlon said:
Outcast,...

Thanks very much for your reply...very interesting.

I have a master degree in theoretical fysics and i will be studying for two more years in order to become an engineer. My dream is to help developing machinery that is used in hospitals or radiology for example. So you can say i am mainly interested in nuclear physics and nanotechnology and stuff like that.

My worry is that if you have studied at a university in Belgium (Ghent) will they accept my degrees in the US ? Generally it is very well known that math education is of a very high standard in Belgium even already in high-school. Also lagnuages are quite ok in here because every student will speak Dutch, French, English and a little bit of German at least...

Are these properties a big advantage or not in the US. I mean (don't get me wrong here) are educated foreigners regarded as an solid economic source in your country and are they given the chance to develop themselves ?

If so, i'll be there in 2006 or 2007 (i think California is the best right? I mean for high-tech-industries and nice girls :smile: )

regards
marlon
I can't help you out on California, never even been there. Have no desire to live there heard too many bad things about the place. I live in a sleepy little southern town of Greenville, SC. Not much here. But I would bet some of the people in the area have probably heard of Ghent, or maybe even went there.
In 2000 alone, there were 76 international firms located in Greenville County. In the Upstate region, there were 245 companies from 20 different countries and as the Greenville area expands, the presence of international companies continues to influence growth and development.

167 companies have divisional, regional, national, international or other types of headquarters in the Greenville metro area. Of these, approximately 100 are located in Greenville County.
http://www.greenvillechamber.org/interior.asp?pageid=28&navid=62&navtreeid=0&level=3&content=BusinessClimate&id=32&recid=32
Now if you were into automotive engineering, instead of medical, then there might be something of interest for you here. Some of the local companies are getting together to compete with the big boys of the automotive world. Doubt if you heard of them.
Michelin Investing in Upstate S.C. Auto Research Park; Will be Joining BMW, IBM and Microsoft Ever heard of BMW? The letters stand for Bubba Made Wheels. :rofl:

language skills would be a big plus. American are at a severe disadvantage, because most of us only speak a single language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loren Booda said:
fisipavia,

Most of all, the title "President of the World" is poetic and does not reflect my belief that the U. S. should rule the world. It would indeed be against the democratic process, dictatorial, to assume that 3% of the world's population should decide policy for the other 97%.
iuff! I am so happy right now.

wasteofo2 said:
Well, there were those things, what're they called, something like "World War I and World War II".

uhm I don't see any validity to that statement since there were other countries involved before USA.

Wtf...http://www.threeworldwars.com/overview.htm
History records that this First World War did indeed occur as predicted. The Western powers in Europe, in conjunction with the United States, financed Lenin's expedition into Russia, and financed his government consistently. The US has financed Russian Communism at least once per decade since then.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would USA finance their enemy?

It was the Germans that sent Lenin to Russia to help overthrow the government and get Russia out of the war.

We sent troops to support the Czar
http://www.militaria.com/8th/WW1/siberia.html
President Wilson agreed to send troops to North Russia after repeated requests were made by the British. General John J. Pershing selected units of the Michigan National Guard’s 85th. Division; the 339th Infantry Regiment, one battalion of the 310th Engineers, the 337th Field Hospital and the 337th Ambulance Company, totaling 5,500 officers and men to proceed from England to Murmansk on June 1, 1918.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's natural that since Bush want's to control and gouvern the whole world, that usa be the world police, everyone in the world should be allowed to vote on the american president.

Guess who'd be the next president of usa then :rolleyes: