Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

President or parrot?

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    How do recent presidents rate as to independent political judgement? Which have relied more on teleprompter and which on effective originality? Does part of presidential management require compromise of command?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Clinton was the most intellectual of the last 4 presidents, but Clinton didn't really have any competition. Clinton actually wrote much of the content of his speeches. The last three Republican presidents had teams of speech writers.

Bush has appointed many minimally qualified people, and some senators, even Republicans have reluctantly confirmed many people. Apparently many in prominent positions are connected by family ties or campaign contributions or participation in Bush's campaign. The numbers of Inspectors General with actual audit experience is low.

Story at Time - http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1109345,00.html

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3

Besides - Bush makes Frank Burns look brilliant. :rofl:

And I can't call Bush 'ferret face' because that would be demeaning and debasing to such noble creatures.
  5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

Apparently, anyone who might even upstage the president is not considered for a position. So it seems, by that approach, Bush is appointing people with lesser competency to critical positions in government.

More from Mike Allen's article
  6. Sep 30, 2005 #5
    Well, it can't be said that Bush doesn't raise cronism to new levels of abuse of power.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  7. Sep 30, 2005 #6
    The post #4 makes it sound like "Administrative Rule by Murphies Law" :rofl:

:tongue: :rolleyes:
  8. Sep 30, 2005 #7

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean they make their own decisions, Bush would probably rank as one of the most decisive Presidents ever. That's why people don't like him! Clinton was the exact opposite: he based most of his decisions on opinion polls. That made him a weak leader, but it also meant that few people disliked him as strongly as they dislike Bush.

It's ironic to me: for the most important leadership position in the world, most people seem to be looking for a dormat. :confused:
    Bush speaks off-the-cuff far too often for his own good. I don't know how he ranks compared to others in actual "Candor Coefficient" (TM) though.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean - are you talking about delegation of authority? If so, then absolutely. As a general rule, the higher the leadership position, the more authority must be delegated to underlings.
  9. Sep 30, 2005 #8
    To your competence, and beyoooooond!

Bush? lead? more like take you where you are going whether you like it, or not.

"It needs be proven, that everyone, who reaches their level of Competence, can surpass it!"
    Administration by Murphies Law
  10. Sep 30, 2005 #9

Gold Member

:rofl: You've made these claims multiple times. Bush doesn't even read on his own, and I guarantee you when he makes obstinate choices or stupid remarks his staff cringes. Clinton speaks off-the-cuff all the time, but can actually speak, and it is very apparent to those with an open mind that he is well informed, often referring to credible sources--not just polls. :rolleyes:
  11. Sep 30, 2005 #10
    Are you kidding me? Bush bends over for the religious right whenever he gets the chance.
  12. Oct 1, 2005 #11
    Think you have that slightly backwards, he straightens back up whenever they give him the Chance, and that seems not to be very often. :tongue2: :tongue2: :biggrin: :rofl: :tongue: :tongue: :surprised

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?