Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Presidential contenders in 2012

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, we'll probably be seeing people start to line up in 2010 (next year), if not already.

David Petraeus, Joe Scarborough eyed for '12
    Interesting. Certainly, a run by David Pertraeus would be very interesting.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26741.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    I expect Rick Santorum to be among the top contenders.

4. Sep 6, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Bob Dole mentioned Petreaus today too, though I don't know if anyone even knows what party he supports.

5. Sep 6, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not familiar with American politics is there a transfer window for star candidates to switch teams - or is it a draft system where the losers get first pick of new stars?

6. Sep 6, 2009 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

Hmm I'd say neither applies here. Petreaus has not yet declared a team, nor will he as long a he's remains a top commander answerable to the President. He is a star of sorts since the surge, and particularly appealing I think to the Republican side because of that success, and because he was http://pol.moveon.org/petraeus.html" [Broken]pre-surge by some of the fringe left.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 6, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

His father is apparently dutch - I hope he has an original copy of the kid's birth certificate handy ;-)

8. Sep 6, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Finally a political issue that I can ignore! For the moment I consider the point moot - purely an academic exercise. :biggrin:

9. Sep 7, 2009 #8
    It is at least a slight improvement from McCain/Palin.

10. Sep 7, 2009 #9
    That seems to be the problem with military leaders. They're accustomed to saying "yes Sir" to whomever is in charge. Colin Powell being the best example - not what you might call a "free thinker".

Yes Mr. President, Yes Mr. Vice President, Yes Mr. Candidate Obama (who is ahead in the polls) - you never really know their position on issues - just that they'll follow the rule book.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Sep 7, 2009 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

For good officers, no, that's not how it works. A good officer has an obligation to vigorously raise objections, and a good commander should create an environment open to them - at least until the final decision has been made, then it has to be "yes sir".

12. Sep 7, 2009 #11
    Presumably he is saying "yes sir" only to those above him, not those below him. It's not like they're not also accustomed to making decisions and giving orders.

And following the "rule book" isn't a bad thing if we have a President that considers the rule book to be the U.S. Constitution.

Of course Petraeus is a complete unknown as far as his own political beliefs, so it's hard to have an opinion either way.

13. Sep 7, 2009 #12
    I agree completely. However, Generals follow policy - they don't create policy.

Typically, an opinionated General is not favored by politicians. Remember when Patton wanted to push the Russians back to Russia? Conversely, can anyone remember when Westmoreland wanted to fight to win - instead of managing a (politicians) war of attrition?

Did Colin Powell want to continue on to Baghdad or did Bush follow his advice?
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Rl...olin powell march to baghdad gulf war&f=false

We seldom know what a General really thinks.

14. Sep 8, 2009 #13

ideasrule

Homework Helper

15. Sep 15, 2009 #14
    Have you read "Rome Wasn't Burnt In A Day"?

If Axelrod is wrong about the public sentiment - Scarborough might be a contender.

16. Sep 17, 2009 #15
    Having made such a strong argument against health care reform, the Republican candidate would have to run on an agenda to roll back health care reform. Without that, you won't get the support of the, say, 30% who are very conservative. But that position would certainly be unacceptable to the 50% who currently support health care reform. So, the outcome of the election is a foregone conclusion: Obama will easily win a second term.

In 2016, Hillary would make a good chance. In 2020 she should be able to win a second term. In 2024 Chelsea Clinton may be elected and perhaps again in 2028.

So, I think the Republicans may be out of power until 2033.

17. Sep 17, 2009 #16
    I don't see Petraeus running in 2012. He's one of those people I believe when he says he's got no intention of running for POTUS. Also, I doubt the electorate would put "someone like him" in office given the current political climate. Palin is a virtual impossibility. Not sure about Joe Scarborough's chances but I certainly wouldn't vote for him. I'd like to see Mike Huckabee give it another whirl, personally.

Count Iblis: You assume that a health reform bill that conservatives are opposed to will pass at all.

As for the rest, lol.

18. Sep 17, 2009 #17
    I support Ivan. If we all start to support Ivan, maybe Greg will become the secret master turning all knobs in the shadow.

19. Sep 17, 2009 #18
    Chelsea? Well, at least you didn't say Pelosi.

I like Huckabee, but I don't think he has a snowballs chance. I do however think we need to look at all of the Governors - someone with executive experience.

I'd like to actually vote FOR someone, instead of against bad choices.

20. Sep 19, 2009 #19
    If the right nominates a moderate with executive experience, e.g. Pawlenty or Romney, they have a good chance. Well, their best chance, anyway. Obviously it depends on how the economy recovers and what Afghanistan looks like by then. No way in hell someone like Santorum or Huckabee wins.

21. Sep 20, 2009 #20

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Election talk, already? It's not even been a year since the last one yet!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook