Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Presidential Debate #2

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My spidey senses tell me that McCain may blow it tonight. He has announced that his campaign wants to stay away from the economy and instead focus on character assasination. So I can see this going one of two ways: First, he may be bluffing and trying to catch Obama unprepared. Or, he may be out for blood. If the latter is his intent, he risks coming off as wild, or mean, or as a ranting old man. Unless McCain is using this character assault as a diversion tactic, he may well crash and burn.

In fact, now that I think about it a little more, this whole thing does smell a bit like a diversion. Why would he publically state that he wants to avoid discussing the economy? Is he sneaky or stupid?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    He already came off as mean to a lot of people in the last debate by not looking at Obama. Whether that was his intent or not is a different matter, but if he keeps making people think he is mean, I don't think he'll win over many of them.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3

Art

This town-hall format reputedly plays to McCain's strengths so I expect him to do quite well. Obama needs to revert to the relaxed easy speaking manner he had in the early days of the primaries so the audience warm toward him; he seems far more stilted these days which projects as aloofness.

As the questions will be coming from the floor. (though chosen by some news guy whose name I forget), for McCain not to answer the questions would insult the audience not Obama. I think McCain will pretty much behave as in the last debate with no more nor less than the usual level of digs at his adversary.

It seems Palin has been given the job of character assassin to allow McCain to try and appear presidential and above such pettiness whilst hopefully, for his camp, embroiling Obama in a tit for tat spat with McCain's VP nominee and so reduce his public standing. Perhaps Obama should have Biden take on the same role for him??

To this end it would not make sense for McCain to join in the personal attacks himself and so imo tonight's debate will be standard fare, with both candidates concentrating more on not losing points rather than winning them.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think the moderator should ask the audience if they want to hear about the economy or listen to McCain trash Obama.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

He's certainly set up for a short fall. They have been playing up his comfort with Town Hall format, and how great he is at it and how poorly Obama is when he doesn't have a teleprompter. I'd say without a clear gaffe from Obama, that Obama will be seen as the victor simply because he will exceed expectations.

I think the go negative approach has exposed McCain's campaign for its desperation. I expect that Obama will be buoyed by confidence and that will translate through the intangibles to the viewing audience. And after today's continued slide confidence in the economy is clearly flagging and any confidence will be viewed as strength.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One caveat on this point: McCain's famous town-hall meetings involved rooms full of people who were biased. For the most part, either they already love him, or they were [at least] committed Republicans.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. Oct 7, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Reality-check! When McCain had the nomination locked up, he did town-hall-type appearances because the crowds could be hand-picked, questions could be planted, and McCain could look like he was thinking on his feet. Let's see what tonight holds. Obama really can think on his feet, and if the questions are relevant and fair, McCain will look like an idiot trying to spin every one of them into an attack.

Edit: Sorry, Ivan. I was eating an early supper and typing only sporadically. You've got the drill.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #8

Art

There are to be 18 questions in total; 6 chosen by the moderator from some 6 million e-mails sent in, and the remaining 12 chosen from questions submitted by the live audience.

It will be interesting to see how many of these questions are answered properly by both candidates though I don't expect either of them to do a Palin and reply with a memorised stock answer regardless of the question.

Given that the economy is going to be a big part of this I think McCain could have problems tonight.

10. Oct 7, 2008 #9
    I'm more interested in whether or not the audience are plants.

11. Oct 7, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You know there will be. You can bet there is a group from each campaign that has been working on getting shills into the audience.

But I don't think it will matter. McCain doesn't have any soft lob questions that he can't get hammered on in response.

12. Oct 7, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is this debate on at 8pm central, like the others?

13. Oct 7, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. 6 PM PST

14. Oct 7, 2008 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Shame.. I need to get up early tomorrow so won't be able to watch. You know, I wish these debates were either on a Friday, or at an earlier time (though I guess the latter won't work since the west coast won't be home from work by then). Still, the rest of the world do care enough to want to watch!

15. Oct 7, 2008 #14

Astronuc

According to Tom Brokaw, Gallup poll selected 80 uncommitted voters, who provided questions, to be in audience. They also took thousands of questions from the internet.

The US and global economics are on everyone's mind.

I'm disappointed in Obama's first answer and the quick attack on McCain.

The solution to the current economic crisis is to deleverage, i.e. pay down debt. Give the Fed and Bernanke and the Treasury and Paulson time to work it out. Don't panic.

McCain's first response is better.

Ha - McCain mentioned Meg Whitman (Ebay). Why didn't he pick someone like her for VP?

McCain mentions the suspension of his campaign to fly back to Washington. Now he's misrepresenting the legislation two years ago.

16. Oct 7, 2008 #15
    Neither really answering the questions. Kinda annoying.

Because she is running ebay into the ground

17. Oct 7, 2008 #16

Evo

McCain is going to fix the economy by buying mortgages he said were bad debt and renegotiate those loans to be based on current value so people won't be foreclosed on? Wait, that means buying mortgages where people just aren't paying on time. What's the criteria? If I've been making my mortgage payments on time but my home isn't worth as much as when I bought it, does that mean I'm screwed? Or should I stop making payments so that McCain will get me a better deal? What about all of the Americans that are paying high rents? What is he going to do for them? Does he realize how stupid and unfair and unrealistic this is?

18. Oct 7, 2008 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Well McCain has taken to being mighty mean spirited trying to paint Obama with Freddy/Fannie. Not good for him.

19. Oct 7, 2008 #18

Astronuc

They are using their responses to poke at each other. Might as well put boxing gloves on them.

So she has experience in the economy. :rofl:

According to the Wikipedia page for Meg Whitman "Whitman was also mentioned by McCain as a possible Secretary of the Treasury during the second of three United States presidential election debates in 2008." :rofl: Did McCain say that yet?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  20. Oct 7, 2008 #19

Evo

I'm watching the debate on CNN and they have the live "worm", people rating the candidates as they speak. While McCain was answering the the trust question, the worm went negative. I've never seen it go negative and stay there for so long. I guess the viewers didn't feel any trust.

21. Oct 7, 2008 #20

Evo

You've got to be kidding. Buy slow pay home loans? :bugeye: That's assinine. I'm glad he pointed out that it's not Obama's plan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?