Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Presidential Debate #3

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here we are at last - the end of a very, very, very long road. I do believe this is debate #22 for Obama; don't know about McCain.

There has been a good bit of punditry about Obama baiting McCain to attack him. I heard one report that McCain had responded; saying that he would kick his a$$. Meanwhile, the Republican strategists seem to be split as to whether McCain should or should not go negative.

This may well be do or die time for McCain. If we are going to see fireworks, it should be tonight. But the face-to-face format does not lend itself to blind attacks.

Will we see fireworks, or just more stale bread?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

I'm expecting McCain to blow up tonight. He is flailing and increasingly desperate while Obama keeps his cool. That speaks volumes about their potential values to the US in volatile situations. If McCain comes off as nasty, negative and dismissive as the ads he's running in Maine, he's going to turn off a bunch of fence-sitters who want an adult in the WH for a change.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I was a man of great desire
    I would require death by fire.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Recall the ABC Dem debate when Hillary got to attack Obama about Wright and Ayers? That was, reportedly, a huge win for her. Why should McCain doing the same not get him a big win too?

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He is stupid and he is old , I expect to witness him at his sad deluded form tonight , Obama needs to bring a weapon in case McCain goes insane. Crazy McCain. I commend Obama for not being paranoid about McCain's mental stability or any of McCain's disciple's going after Obama during the debates.

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6
    :rofl:

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Because it's old news. And the public is anxious about the state of the economy and the deterioration in the market again today.

Ultimately I think McCain realizes he has already lost and will choose not soil his legacy and choose instead to be a runner-up with dignity with some thought to heal the wounds opened by the campaigns.

After that optimistic projection now watch as he lunges across the table at Obama's throat.
    (Talk about a Secret Service nightmare.)

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I read that McCain doesn't intend to bring Wright up tonight, saying that it's more likely to hurt him on racial issues.

10. Oct 15, 2008 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'll be seeing Kathy Griffin live during the last presidential debate tonight. I fully expect to be laughing my rear end off! So someone will have to condense what I missed in 20 words or less.

:)

Zz.

11. Oct 15, 2008 #10
    Why was his association with Wright relevant to begin with? It's not like Obama endorsed any of his crazy theories. I wish the public would focus more on what's relevant.

12. Oct 15, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We hope to be doing the same.

13. Oct 15, 2008 #12

Astronuc

The negative campaigning hurt McCain across the board apparently. It would seem voters for both parties and in between want to hear about issues and actions - not negative campaign adds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/us/politics/15poll.html
    I would hope the country has turned a corner in the political discussion.

14. Oct 15, 2008 #13

Evo

Okay, McCin has gone down the tubes with "joe plumber". More than half the nation is probaby thinking to themselves how nice it must be to be able to buy their own business and feel no sympathy for him whining about not getting a tax cut. McCain is simply out of touch.

15. Oct 15, 2008 #14
    Mccain is losing it. The more he keeps talking, the deeper the hole gets.

16. Oct 15, 2008 #15
    Oh spare me the fake tears Mccain.

"Oh please Obama, please tell the public that those accusations are false."

17. Oct 15, 2008 #16

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Is this a debate about issues or feelings?

Lose with dignity McCain...

18. Oct 15, 2008 #17
    I swear Mccain is ready to break down and cry.

19. Oct 15, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama just brought up the vile comments being shouted at Palin's rallies...

McCain's eyes are darting and he's looking like he's going to explode!

20. Oct 15, 2008 #19
    Mccain: I have stood up for you Obama. *weeping* And I don't like those t-shirts at your rallys. *weeping*

21. Oct 15, 2008 #20

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

"all the polls show that senator mccains ads are 100% negative and that 2/3 of the america people think so, compared to only 1/3 who think that of mine."

"oh yeah! you are so full of 8888/// and your mama wears combat boots! how can you aCCUSE ME OF NEGativity!!!???>"

do we have to listen this **** to make up our minds?

i agree with those here who say mccain is losing it. his argument that he is not the most negative campaigner is itself so negative it gives the lie to his claims to all but the most biased observer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?