Presidential Debate #3: Fireworks or Stale Bread?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the final presidential debate between Obama and McCain and the potential for negative attacks. There is speculation about McCain's mental stability and the impact of past attacks on Obama. Some believe that McCain's negative campaigning has backfired and that he is out of touch with the American people. McCain's emotional response to Obama's accusations and comments made at his rallies is also discussed. Overall, there is a hope for a more civil political discussion in the future.
McCain seemed to do well in the beginning, but he has definitely taken a dive... uh oh, there's Joe the Plumber again... worms go negative...

Anyway, he is often coming off as grumpy and mean. And like LisaB noted, his darting eyes make him look very deceptive.

Just now he corrected McCain about good ole Joe. McCain looks stunned! :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mccain: Congratulations Joe, you're rich!

But I thought he was Joe The Plumber, and not Joe the billionaire?

which chavez was that? cesar? the grape boycott guru from the 60's?

Does anyone else notice that Obama and Mccain are sporting ties that represent their opposition's party?

Ha, McCain caught in a lie. He just said he wouldn't appoint a Supreme Court judge because they supported his views on overturning Roe V Wade, and it was on The View, that he stated that he would appoint a judge that supported his views on overturning Roe V Wade.

Last edited:
Uh oh, now McCain is going for his base with abortion. He already has his base.

this is surreal, i am reliving the 60's watching mccain. women used to have a very tough time regarding abortions, and some of those women were my friends.

Yeah, I think McCain really hurt himself on that one.

The womens track went highly negative. And I wonder how many people were aware of the potential for 3 SC appointments.

McCain "Congratulations Joe, you're rich." Sounds a bit sarcastic.

Obama explained that small businesses are exempt from penalties on health insurance. Large companies, which can afford insurance should provide insurance.

It's interesting that McCain can sit there are proclaim - "I'll (we'll) cut spending" - followed by "I'll give you $5000 for toward your health insurance." With 47 million without health insurance would represent 20 million families or about $100 billion. And McCain wants to balance the budget?

So now the woman's health during pregnancy is an extreme position John? What the hell is he on tonight?

Wow! In regards to education, Obama just scored a sustained 100% with both men and women. I think that is a first in any debate.

How the heck does McCain expect to give the same opportunity he had or Cindy McCain had in education?! Cindy Hensley came from a wealthy family. McCains family can't be that poor if his father was an admiral.

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow! In regards to education, Obama just scored a sustained 100% with both men and women. I think that is a first in any debate.

Agreed. This election is all Obama.

this seems to be the most revealing debate yet, and by far the best moderated. i may be biased, but it seems to reveal that mccain is a scripted idiot and obama is a very flexible and articulate future leader. it is hard to imagine the undecided voter who would tilt to mccain after this debacle.

Does McCain think he is more buff than he really is? He looks like those guys on steroids strutting around. Can he straighten his arms?
I can't vote for someone who is not pro choice.

Astronuc said:
How the heck does McCain expect to give the same opportunity he had or Cindy McCain had in education?! Cindy Hensley came from a wealthy family. McCains family can't be that poor if his father was an admiral.

McCain went to military college, which is already accessible to everyone (willing to put in the effort).

Predictions on the reaction?

I will go with 55-45 Obama

McCain's wife is hotter

tribdog said:
McCain's wife is hotter

But clearly less intelligent since she married McCain?

Obama ended on a very positive note.

I think this went something like the Kennedy-Nixon debate in 1960.

Obama wins!

to me no one could go with mccain except the already committed. so 60-40? obama of course. except i thought mccain wrapped up well, and the "good job, good job" was nice.

I'm pretty sure McCain was talking about the education he can give his kids and Obama can give his kids, not their own education when they were kids

McCain really blinked a lot, to the point that it was distracting. He seemed twitchy and a bit too smiley.

Obama seemed controlled as always.

well that education remark was absurd, i think only the wealthy can aspire to go to harvard, say, nowadays, as opposed to the kennedy days when there was "no highly gifted child left behind", i.e. merit scholarships that actually paid your way to harvard .

in 1960, a kid in the top 1% of SAT's, and having other top records, could go all tuition paid to harvard, whereas today a merit scholarship pays a tiny fraction of the cost.

the establishment learned the cost of actually making opportunity available to the smartest, and they concluded under nixon, that it resulted in a bunch of leftists taking control of the opportunities.

no one in power today wants to admit students to the best schools based solely on ability, as that may leave out their own children.

I'm not touching this one with a 40 ft pole. I don't want to get my head chopped off.

Game changer? No.

Obama was the better a third time.

The only question is whether the margin will widen. I'm not sure that it can.

remember that old commercial where michael jordan and larry bird are discussing banking shots off Mars or venus and charkles barkley is floating around saying: "hey let me try, i can make that!"

i feel like charles barkley in these discussions: "hey guys, i really did meet timothy leary, cesar chavez, kenneth galbraith, adlai stevenson, hubert humphrey, heard malcolm x, bb king, james brown, sat at a football game with jfk,..."oh well, thanks for letting me listen to your youthful debate.

Is every working American named Joe? What about Suzy Sixpack?

well the poll of the ohio group on tv went 15/10 obama, which i point out is exactly 60-40 as i said.

ZapperZ said:
I'll be seeing Kathy Griffin live during the last presidential debate tonight. I fully expect to be laughing my rear end off! So someone will have to condense what I missed in 20 words or less.

:)

Zz.

More of the same.

Wooohoooo! Early results on CNN are 58-31 Obama.

They have now identified how the polling breaks down. Turns out that Independents favor Obama by ~ the same amount: 57-31. That's what he needed!

Get this. Obama was more likeable by 77-21.
McCain was the most negative by 80-11, or something close.

David Gergen is all but pronouncing McCain dead.

Yeah, I thought Obama looked much better on this one. I think it was Paul Begala in the CNN commentary who said that McCain came off looking like Grumpy McNasty.

On the Fox Text Message Poll its running 87% McCain - 11% Obama.

Sean Hannity and Dick Morris are crowing about how McCain crushed him.

I'm thinking there ought to be an FCC and FEC investigation.

Ivan Seeking said:
David Gergen is all but pronouncing McCain dead.

Gosh dag nabit! I've always voted for the underdog. I'm switching my vote this November to McCain.

And there I was, thinking I was going to be living in an Obama nation...

oh well. maybe next lifetime...