Presidential Debate #3: Fireworks or Stale Bread?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the final presidential debate between Obama and McCain and the potential for negative attacks. There is speculation about McCain's mental stability and the impact of past attacks on Obama. Some believe that McCain's negative campaigning has backfired and that he is out of touch with the American people. McCain's emotional response to Obama's accusations and comments made at his rallies is also discussed. Overall, there is a hope for a more civil political discussion in the future.
turbo-1 said:
I don't think Joe's got the scratch - he has no business plan and no accountant/tax adviser.
Did you miss the part where he's been exposed as a liar?

He isn't a licensed plumber, he makes $40,000 a year, and hasn't paid the taxes on his house, so the county put a lien on his house for unpaid taxes. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:

He isn't a licensed plumber, he makes $40,000 a year, and hasn't paid the taxes on his house, so the county put a lien on his house for unpaid taxes. :rofl:
I actually feel a little sorry for the guy now. Okay, he was trying to be a smartass by having a poke at Obama with a fictitious story. He may not realize it yet but the price he will now pay in public ridicule will greatly outweigh any enjoyment he may have gotten from his 15 minutes of fame.

McCain really shouldn't have used him in his campaign without his permission. Politicians take flak over what they say in public but are well prepared and well compensated for it whereas this guy is just a normal dumb Joe (sic) caught up in something, I doubt he ever imagined, when he was slyly heckling Obama.

Art said:
I actually feel a little sorry for the guy now. Okay, he was trying to be a smartass by having a poke at Obama with a fictitious story. He may not realize it yet but the price he will now pay in public ridicule will greatly outweigh any enjoyment he may have gotten from his 15 minutes of fame.

McCain really shouldn't have used him in his campaign without his permission. Politicians take flak over what they say in public but are well prepared and well compensated for it whereas this guy is just a normal dumb Joe (sic) caught up in something, I doubt he ever imagined, when he was slyly heckling Obama.
Not to mention that I read that he's been caught working without a license, he said he thought he didn't need one, but it was confirmed that he does. He and his boss may now be out of a job and facing legal issues.

Astronuc said:
...Obama explained that small businesses are exempt from penalties on health insurance. Large companies, which can afford insurance should provide insurance.It's interesting that McCain can sit there are proclaim - "I'll (we'll) cut spending" - followed by "I'll give you $5000 for toward your health insurance." With 47 million without health insurance would represent 20 million families or about $100 billion...
A minutes research reveals the basics: McCain plans to eliminate the existing employer based health care tax exemption. Currently the US http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/content/full/hlthaff.w4.106v1/DC1" [Broken]. McCain will replace it with a personal $5k exemption. Obama's ads and mailings on the subject are scurriously, completely misleading, mentioning only the first part and not the second. Most people will keep more in their pockets as a result.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1903660&postcount=142highlight=health#post1903660

That extra net money in the pockets of individuals will still cost the government revenue, as will the Obama plan. Both parties recognize this and state they will seek savings in Medicare to offset.

Again, the employer tax exemption has got to go - that system is the primary reason for the high cost of US health care. Either it goes, or the US will end up in a nationalized system to stop the cost runaways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I guess I've missed some stuff. I had to take my wife for a medical procedure today and am dealing with some legal issues, so some stuff passed under the bridge.

I've got a feeling that he is a Rove-ian plant, and that his fictional "plight" was custom-made for McCain to use against Obama to "prove" that Obama's tax plans would strangle small businesses. Unfortunately, the media is disinclined to investigate tough stories, and much of the electorate is disinclined to dig any deeper than the claims made by the GOP.

"Obama palls around with terrorists" - Obama will raise taxes on everybody" - "Obama is a Muslim who doesn't love his country"

What is with talk radio today? Did people watch the same debate as I did last night? The hosts on WRKO 680AM in Boston are calling out Obama for being deceptive by talking about Buffet willing to pay more taxes when Mccain was talking about Joe The Plumber. It's funny how they don't mention that Joe is not actually a plumber.

I have a gut feeling that there is a lot more about Joe the plumber that we don't know.

My gut feeling is that he was either a plant or is a Libertarian who wanted to get his name in the media. The guy is too well spoken to be the average $40,000 per year plumber.

Edit: He is a registered republican who owes nearly $1200 to the state of Ohio in back taxes. Neither he or his (boss ) are licensed plumbers. As a general rule usually only the owner of a company or a designated employee need to hold a commercial license.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
I'm puzzled at what you would have expected Obama to do? Anticipate that McCain would come with another fraudulent issue and make comment before he had any knowledge of specifically how the Republicans would have stretched and smeared the facts?
With respect this post and the previous 2, I would have expected Obama to McCain that his position was nonsense. Obama should have asked McCain if he was taking about gross or net income, and then pointed out if Plumber Joe hired/employed someone, those wages would be deducted from revenue. I expect Obama to think on his feet about something so basic as gross and net income, or taxable income.

When one gets a trick question or a bogus proposition such as McCain through at him, someone like Obama needs to have it clarified.

As for the rest - about Wurzelbacher and his status with respect to license or his back taxes - it will be interesting to see how that plays out. :rolleyes:

Well, at least the media narrative will move on from negative tone to comedic Joe the plumber during the upcoming news cycle. I think McCain won't be too happy with the unexpected popularity of Joe, and the media attention he will receive. Joe's not doing much good for McCain, other than wasting air time that could be used to man a comeback.

Thanks Joe. You are the anti-Robin Hood. You fight for the rich so you can pay a bigger share of tax. Keep talking and don't listen to the haters.

People love you, for different reasons.

Astronuc said:
With respect this post and the previous 2, I would have expected Obama to McCain that his position was nonsense. Obama should have asked McCain if he was taking about gross or net income, and then pointed out if Plumber Joe hired/employed someone, those wages would be deducted from revenue. I expect Obama to think on his feet about something so basic as gross and net income, or taxable income.

When one gets a trick question or a bogus proposition such as McCain through at him, someone like Obama needs to have it clarified.

As for the rest - about Wurzelbacher and his status with respect to license or his back taxes - it will be interesting to see how that plays out. :rolleyes:

I don't know that Obama didn't take the guy at face value when he spoke with him without thinking he wouldn't have known the difference between asking price and income. In hindsight knowing that the guy was much less than he represented himself to be, I suspect he really could have pole-axed McCain by asking any number of specifics about Joe's situation and made a fool of McCain for his sandbag effort. But that's really a bit of a reach for me to fault Obama for not knowing. I thought his comeback on Columbia and then expanding his explanation to include the US-Peru agreement, was really an unreported moment that undercut McCain's whole snide attack, and made Obama enviously in charge of more facts than McCain.

Tsu was saying that I missed a good slip. When McCain was talking about Palin, she thought he referred to his VP as "a breast of...breath of fresh air".

I haven't gone back to look yet. Did anyone else catch this?

Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu was saying that I missed a good slip. When McCain was talking about Palin, she thought he referred to his VP as "a breast of...breath of fresh air".

I haven't gone back to look yet. Did anyone else catch this?
Yes I heard that slip too. Given his reputation I thought it was very amusing.

I was wondering if we'd hear anything like this out of Obama. As if Palin isn't bad enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A5bP4pxOdU

The difference being the tape of Palin wasn't doctored :rolleyes:

Art said:
The difference being the tape of Palin wasn't doctored :rolleyes:

What's doctored about it? I watched the original clip on the news after it happened.

Okay, even if it is legit, and at this point we have no way to konw, Obama had one bad day out of 700. For Palin, forming complete sentences seems to be a problem every day. Also, OBama was interrupted by the crowd. That seemed to be the problem.

Obama is particularly noted for his elegance, and we have had 22 debates and countless interviews to confirm this. In fact, Senator McCain and many Republicans have said the same. Are you calling them all liars?

To point to one example is silly. However, if your source of news is Fox or Rush, then you wouldn't have any way to know this.

B. Elliott said:
What's doctored about it? I watched the original clip on the news after it happened.
If it is undoctored where is the noise from the crowd? In your snip Obama actually comments that he can't hear himself over the noise and yet we hear nothing. There are also several places where it sounds like the tape was looped and others where pieces had been snipped out.

Please provide a source for the news program you claim to have heard it on.

Art said:
If it is undoctored where is the noise from the crowd? In your snip Obama actually comments that he can't hear himself over the noise and yet we hear nothing. There are also several places where it sounds like the tape was looped and others where pieces had been snipped out.

I can heard the crowd in the background, but the volume is suppressed. Perhaps the crowd noise is electronically suppressed.

He also finishes the part of the talk with a statement that he had not slept much in 48 hrs - and he sounded like it.

Astronuc said:
I can heard the crowd in the background, but the volume is suppressed. Perhaps the crowd noise is electronically suppressed.

He also finishes the part of the talk with a statement that he had not slept much in 48 hrs - and he sounded like it.

I've seen it before on U-Tube as Obama without teleprompter. That seems like the original soundtrack. It was from the Democratic Primaries at a Town Hall, which is why McCain was wetting his britches to have 10 Town Hall meetings, hoping to get Obama stressed out to make a gaffe. I think the continued promotion of it is a sign of desperation. Just like the nasty Robocalls the Republicans have started trying to claim that Obama is a terrorist. It's the politics of division and that John McCain has returned to it makes him the more despicable in my mind, despite his recent softening image on the talk circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Are you calling them all liars?

Wow, I don't know where anyone could have even remotely interpreted that as calling someone as a liar. I honestly don't know how to respond to that.

Art said:

I've searched CNN and a few other websites to see if they still have a copy of the clip, but I can't find any. I remember it being play at least a few times over a few days period because myself and some friends had a good laugh over it. I'll keep searching though.

As far as it being doctored or the crowd being electronically suppressed, I see no need for it to be. You can easily hear them when they start laughing a couple of points. If you actually watch the crowd there's a couple of people in particular that seem to keep spouting things out. Hardly, 'the entire crowd'. If you look closely, it's hard to find anyone who's saying anything at all.

Anyone who has used one of those types of microphones, as I have, knows that they're designed to only pick up sounds which are emitted directly into them. It's not a matter of someone intent on deceit. It's a matter of design with the microphone. When the crowd actually gains enough volume to be picked up, you can hear them (the laughter).

I guess you guys don't do much Karaoke?

Besides not being a plumber, and not being a taxpayer, and not really being in the market for the business, and the business not bringing in $250,000 in profits, his name isn't even Joe. It's Sam.

jimmysnyder said:
Besides not being a plumber, and not being a taxpayer, and not really being in the market for the business, and the business not bringing in $250,000 in profits, his name isn't even Joe. It's Sam.

Jim,

Sam the plumber is a bit passe.

I ran the numbers through my head yesterday at work. (Obama needs to hire an idiot savant...)

Obama's tax increase would have cost Sam $300 per $10,000.

In three years, Sam would have taken home, after taxes, more than I've taken home in 35 years.

Frack Joe, or Sam, the damn republican plant, non-plumber.

If he were a real plumber, making real plumber wages, he'd not be living in a little red-neck house like mine.

I give Sen. O a complete pass for that town hall event - its clear he was tired, was constantly being interrupted by some over enthusiastic fanboy, yet still managed to explain he was tired, retain some humor, and catch himself more or less when he stumbled rather than just going completely incoherent as the current Pres. has been known to do.

Last edited:
Another blunder McCain has to dig out from under, his "joe the plumber' debacle. This is good for a chuckle. A good lesson, you might want to make sure the person you center your debate around isn't made up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20081017/pl_ynews/ynews_pl97 [Broken]

<h2>1. What topics are typically covered in Presidential Debate #3?</h2><p>The third and final presidential debate usually covers a wide range of topics, including foreign policy, the economy, healthcare, immigration, and social issues.</p><h2>2. How long is Presidential Debate #3?</h2><p>The duration of the third presidential debate can vary, but it is typically around 90 minutes to two hours.</p><h2>3. Who moderates Presidential Debate #3?</h2><p>The moderator for the third presidential debate is chosen by the Commission on Presidential Debates and is typically a well-known journalist or news anchor.</p><h2>4. How is the winner of Presidential Debate #3 determined?</h2><p>There is no official winner of the presidential debates, as they are meant to inform voters and allow them to compare the candidates' stances on issues. However, public opinion polls and media coverage may influence perceptions of who "won" the debate.</p><h2>5. Can Presidential Debate #3 impact the outcome of the election?</h2><p>While the debates can influence voters' opinions, they are not the sole determining factor in the outcome of the election. Other factors, such as campaign strategies, media coverage, and voter turnout, also play a significant role.</p>

1. What topics are typically covered in Presidential Debate #3?

The third and final presidential debate usually covers a wide range of topics, including foreign policy, the economy, healthcare, immigration, and social issues.

2. How long is Presidential Debate #3?

The duration of the third presidential debate can vary, but it is typically around 90 minutes to two hours.

3. Who moderates Presidential Debate #3?

The moderator for the third presidential debate is chosen by the Commission on Presidential Debates and is typically a well-known journalist or news anchor.

4. How is the winner of Presidential Debate #3 determined?

There is no official winner of the presidential debates, as they are meant to inform voters and allow them to compare the candidates' stances on issues. However, public opinion polls and media coverage may influence perceptions of who "won" the debate.

5. Can Presidential Debate #3 impact the outcome of the election?

While the debates can influence voters' opinions, they are not the sole determining factor in the outcome of the election. Other factors, such as campaign strategies, media coverage, and voter turnout, also play a significant role.