• McCain by over 15 Electoral Votes

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • McCain by under 15 Electoral Votes

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • #1,178
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Why do I have a funny feeling that she pulled the lever for Obama?
Here is the feed of her having just voted. Right about the "I'm just Sarah from Alaska" line she kind of choked up and had Todd say something before she cracked any more.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032553/

The rest of it is interesting because she goes on to proclaim her exoneration for the ethics violation. Except of course she technically did violate the law, regardless of the "independent" counsel SHE hired to clear herself of her own charge against herseslf.

• #1,179
Amp1
If the stock market is any indication-its up-Obama might be leading.

• #1,182
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
boy im glad you weren't watching me vote. i took lots longer than that to read all that stuff. like initiatives to let school boards siphon off school funds and give them to developers. we have a school funding system which does not require voter approval - they just set their own funding rate every year -

so since that is the only thing that does not need approval, there is an attempt to transfer those pre-approved monies to other purposes that would require approval, if things were done properly.

there's lots of tricky stuff like that on there to take money from taxpayers.

but most important, being an old person with poor vision, and aware of snafus in florida in 2000, i looked about 4 times to be sure i was not voting for the wrong guy!

• #1,183
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If my office is any indication, Missouri will go to Obama. Out of 150 people, only two are voting McCain, one of them is a Young Earth Creationist, and we think the other is also, but he doesn't go around saying things like "dinosaurs are a Darwinist conspiracy". :tongue2:
Well, you tell him that, if Obama doesn't win, we Darwinists are going to sic the dinosaurs on him!

• #1,184
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If McCain can't win Penn, the race is over. The last polls show Obama ahead by an average of 7.3% in Penn.

• #1,185
turbo
Gold Member
boy im glad you weren't watching me vote. i took lots longer than that to read all that stuff. like initiatives to let school boards siphon off school funds and give them to developers. we have a school funding system which does not require voter approval - they just set their own funding rate every year -

so since that is the only thing that does not need approval, there is an attempt to transfer those pre-approved monies to other purposes that would require approval, if things were done properly.

there's lots of tricky stuff like that on there to take money from taxpayers.

but most important, being an old person with poor vision, and aware of snafus in florida in 2000, i looked about 4 times to be sure i was not voting for the wrong guy!
I was pretty pokey reading my ballot, too, because there were poorly-worded initiative questions, including one in which you had to vote Yes in order to stop the implementation of a broad-based tax increase targeted at the beverage industry. A cursory reading could leave people with the impression that they would have to vote No to oppose the new taxes.

• #1,186
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
They had the Obama's voting on the morning news...both Michelle and Barack side-by-side with their daughter standing in between looking HORRIBLY bored by the whole process.
I'm not American, but I saw this on BBC in the news. He looked like he was joking around with his daughter and waiting for his wife to finish voting. It looked like they were enjoying themselves and I didn't think they looked bored by the process.

However, I got bored soon after that :p.

For whatever it's worth, after seeing Sarah Palin's interview & that prank call, I think I'd be surprised if people would vote and elect McCain and risk her being President.

• #1,187
turbo
Gold Member
If my office is any indication, Missouri will go to Obama. Out of 150 people, only two are voting McCain, one of them is a Young Earth Creationist, and we think the other is also, but he doesn't go around saying things like "dinosaurs are a Darwinist conspiracy". :tongue2:
How DID those pesky Darwinists find the time to dream up and construct all those "fossils", much less bury them so skillfully in solid rock?

I'll bet Sarah has a ready answer for that, unlike "What books do you read?"

Last edited:
  • #1,188
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was pretty pokey reading my ballot, too, because there were poorly-worded initiative questions,
There was once a reported proposal something like "elect to discontinue the process to rescind the abolition of the blue laws" (blue laws are laws banning shops/bars on sunday)

• #1,189
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you are quick you can still bet on the outcome.
You can gets of around 1:25 (odds on) for Obama!

• #1,190
Does anyone think Obama gets 500+ electoral votes like Nixon did in 1972 and Reagan in 1984?

• #1,191
turbo
Gold Member
Does anyone think Obama gets 500+ electoral votes like Nixon did in 1972 and Reagan in 1984?
I'm thinking between 350 and 400

• #1,192
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Calm down.

Let's be happy with 270.

• #1,193
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Calm down.

Let's be happy with 270.
No kidding. Though I must admit that my best guesses leave Obama with 353, IIRC. But there is no way to know the proportions of new voters, hidden bias, undecided swings... I tend to think it will be a wash and that the polls will be representitive of the final vote. And we do know that half of the undecided voters never vote. That leaves about 3%, which seem to be splitting about 60/40 in McCain's favor, and not enough to offset the long-term trends.

Missouri was one of the toughest calls for me to make for our contest. The black vote could make for a significant upset, but the polls show it a dead heat. Many people are looking at Indiana as well, but I don't see the demographics for a significant shift. So at the least I would expect it to be very tight. Florida looks good but is far too close for comfort. Penn looks good but the trends over the last few days have favored McCain.

I agree with Evo - the suspense is killing me!

• #1,194
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
No kidding. Though I must admit that my best guesses leave Obama with 353, IIRC.
I think I heard earlier that Karl Rove is predicting 338 for Obama.

I think at this point he could care less about McCain. He'd probably rather build his electoral cred for 2012 than pump McCain any more at this point.

• #1,195
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I heard earlier that Karl Rove is predicting 338 for Obama.
Correct. That's roughly what I expect too.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/rovefinal.jpg [Broken]​

D=338, R=200

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,196
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I agree with Evo - the suspense is killing me!
I am about to finish the left over Halloween candy. My dietary discipline is shot in nervous anticipation.

Maybe I'll go make a loaf of bread. I can call it Obama Bread.

Maybe by the time it's done so will the threat of McCain Palin setting back the country any further.

• #1,197
You gotta know when to hold em'
Know when to fold em'
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin' done
⚛

• #1,198
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Correct. That's roughly what I expect too.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/rovefinal.jpg [Broken]​

D=338, R=200
That about looks like my map for the Election Game. I did have Missouri Democratic (different) is all that I notice off the top of my head. (I'm counting on EVO to swing the state my way.)

Last edited by a moderator: