Who Will Win the Presidential Election? Predict and See!

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, participants were asked to predict the winner of the 2016 US presidential election, along with their electoral college votes and percentage of the popular vote. Most predicted Hillary Clinton to win, with an average of 291 electoral votes and 48.8% of the popular vote. However, there were some differing opinions with a range of predicted outcomes. The thread was eventually closed after the official winner was announced.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Let's see who can predict the future best! Reply to this thread with who you think will win (so not who you want to win). You can add a small justification if you like, but please do not get into a political discussion.

Add the results of the electoral college and of the popular vote of the winner (in percentage) too. The closest one wins!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The parallels with Brexit are hard to ignore. I'm not too certain about it, but I think Trump will win.

Wouldn't it make sense to insert a vote in the OP? It won't prevent participants to also comment their opinion.

How about if people also put their guesses for the number of electorial college votes received by the winner?
I'm guessing that Hillary will win with about 335 and 48.7% of the vote.

Last edited:
Likes HossamCFD
Borg said:
How about if people also put their guesses for the number of electorial college votes received by the winner?
Good idea. My guess would be Trump with 279 (47% of the popular vote).

Last edited:
I took my best guess, assuming no poll bias, and got 269-269. That throws the election into the House. I am not 100% sure that the House will vote for Trump. If, for example, one faithless elector were to vote for Mike Pence instead of Donald Trump, the House might well seize on the opportunity.

If one assumes the polls are off by as much as the Brexit polls were, in the Trump direction, it's 201-337 Trump. If it's in the Clinton direction, it's 341-197 Clinton.

Likes mheslep
See the updated thread: if you want to win, please also predict the electoral college votes and the percentage that the winner gets in the popular vote!

As was announced in the POTUS thread, this game will be closed after winner is announced, just FYI.

Hillary Clinton, with 291 electoral votes and, say, 48.8% of the popular vote. That's my guess. I'm assuming she'll win Nevada, New Hampshire, and North Carolina, but lose Florida. I think that's not too bad an assumption.

Char. Limit said:
Hillary Clinton, with 291 electoral votes and, say, 48.8% of the popular vote. That's my guess. I'm assuming she'll win Nevada, New Hampshire, and North Carolina, but lose Florida. I think that's not too bad an assumption.
Welcome back! :woot:

Likes Char. Limit
HRC with 300 electoral votes.

Party is over. Thread closed.

1. What is a "Presidential election game"?

A "Presidential election game" is a simulation or role-playing game that allows players to experience the process of a presidential election. It typically involves players taking on the roles of candidates and making strategic decisions to win the election.

2. How is a "Presidential election game" different from other political games?

A "Presidential election game" is specifically focused on the process of a presidential election, while other political games may cover a wider range of political scenarios. Additionally, "Presidential election games" often involve more strategic decision-making and less chance or luck.

3. Can "Presidential election games" accurately predict real-life election outcomes?

No, "Presidential election games" are meant to be fun and engaging simulations, not accurate predictors of real-life events. The outcomes of these games are determined by the players and their decisions, rather than real-life factors such as voter turnout or campaign strategies.

4. Are "Presidential election games" educational?

Yes, "Presidential election games" can be educational as they provide players with a hands-on understanding of the complexities and strategies involved in a presidential election. They can also help players develop critical thinking and decision-making skills.

5. Who can play a "Presidential election game"?

Anyone can play a "Presidential election game" as long as they have an interest in politics and the election process. These games can be played by individuals or groups, and often have versions for different age groups to make them more accessible and engaging.