Pressure Amplitude of 124.5 dB Sound Wave in Air

In summary, using the correct equations and reference pressure amplitude, the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air is 33.576 N/m^2 and this exerts a force of 1.746 mN on an eardrum of area 0.520 * 10^-4 m^2.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

(a) What is the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air?

_____ N/m2
(b) What force does this exert on an eardrum of area 0.520 10-4 m2?

_____ mN

The Attempt at a Solution

if P is amplitude of pressure, then sound intensity (I) is proportional to P^2
I/Io = (P/Po)^2
dB = sound intensity level = 10 log[I/Io]
124.5 = 10 log[I/Io] = 10 log[P/Po]^2 = 20 log(P/Po)
log(P/Po) = 124.5/20 = 6.225
P = Po [10]^6.225
Po = reference pressure amplitude for human ear = 2*10^-5 N/m^2
P = 2*10^-5*[10]^6.225
P = 33.576 N/m^2
----------------
Force on eardrum = P * area = 33.576*0.52*10^4 N
F = 1.746 milli N

This is what I did. But it is not giving me the correct answer...can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some corrections and clarifications to your solution.

Firstly, the equation you have used to relate sound intensity (I) and pressure amplitude (P) is incorrect. The correct equation is I = P^2/ρc, where ρ is the density of the medium and c is the speed of sound in that medium. This can be derived from the definition of intensity, which is power per unit area, and the fact that the power of a sound wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Secondly, the reference pressure amplitude for sound in air is not 2*10^-5 N/m^2, as you have used in your calculation. This value is actually the reference sound pressure level (SPL) at a frequency of 1000 Hz, which is used to define the decibel scale. The reference pressure amplitude for sound in air is 20 μPa (microPascals), which is equivalent to 2*10^-5 N/m^2.

Using the correct equation and reference pressure amplitude, we can solve for the pressure amplitude (P) as follows:

124.5 dB = 10 log(I/Io) = 10 log(P^2/ρc / (2*10^-5)^2) = 20 log(P/2*10^-5)
log(P/2*10^-5) = 124.5/20 = 6.225
P = 2*10^-5 * 10^6.225 = 33.576 N/m^2

This matches your result, so the pressure amplitude you calculated is correct.

For the second part of the problem, we can use the formula F = PA, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is area.

F = P * A = 33.576 * 0.520 * 10^-4 = 1.746 mN

Note that the unit for force is mN (millinewtons), not milli N (milliNewtons).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had in your solution. As always, it is important to check your equations and units to ensure the correct answer. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

Your approach is mostly correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, the reference pressure amplitude for human hearing is 20 μPa, not 2 N/m^2. So, in your equation for P, it should be P = (20*10^-6)*[10]^6.225 = 33.576 μPa. Then, when calculating the force on the eardrum, you need to convert μPa to N/m^2 by multiplying by 10^-6, giving you a final answer of 1.746 μN.

1. What is the definition of pressure amplitude?

The pressure amplitude of a sound wave refers to the maximum deviation or displacement of the air particles from their usual equilibrium position due to the passing of the sound wave.

2. How is the pressure amplitude of a sound wave measured?

The pressure amplitude of a sound wave is typically measured in decibels (dB). This measurement is obtained by comparing the sound wave's pressure amplitude to the pressure of a reference sound, which is usually the lowest audible sound a human ear can detect.

3. What does a pressure amplitude of 124.5 dB indicate?

A pressure amplitude of 124.5 dB represents a very loud sound. It is equivalent to the sound of a jet engine at a distance of 100 feet or a rock concert. Prolonged exposure to sounds at this pressure amplitude can cause damage to the human ear.

4. How does the pressure amplitude of a sound wave affect its intensity?

The pressure amplitude of a sound wave is directly proportional to its intensity. This means that as the pressure amplitude increases, the intensity of the sound also increases. Therefore, a sound wave with a pressure amplitude of 124.5 dB is more intense than a sound wave with a lower pressure amplitude.

5. Can the pressure amplitude of a sound wave be changed?

Yes, the pressure amplitude of a sound wave can be changed by altering the source of the sound. For example, the pressure amplitude of a sound wave can be increased by increasing the volume on a speaker or decreasing the distance between the sound source and the listener. It can also be decreased by using soundproofing materials or moving away from the source of the sound.