Answer Pressure & Force on Ear Drum: 33.576 N/m2 & 1.746 mN

This could be the reason why you are getting an incorrect answer. In summary, to find the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air, we can use the formula log(P/Po) = 124.5/20 = 6.225 and the reference pressure amplitude for the human ear (Po) is 2*10^-5 N/m^2. This gives us a pressure amplitude of 33.576 N/m^2. To find the force exerted on an eardrum of area 0.520*10^-4 m^2, we can use the formula F = P * area, which gives us a force of 1.746 milli N.
Jtappan
1. Homework Statement

(a) What is the pressure amplitude of a sound wave with an intensity level of 124.5 dB in air?

_____ N/m2
(b) What force does this exert on an eardrum of area 0.520 10-4 m2?

_____ mN

3. The Attempt at a Solution

if P is amplitude of pressure, then sound intensity (I) is proportional to P^2
I/Io = (P/Po)^2
dB = sound intensity level = 10 log[I/Io]
124.5 = 10 log[I/Io] = 10 log[P/Po]^2 = 20 log(P/Po)
log(P/Po) = 124.5/20 = 6.225
P = Po [10]^6.225
Po = reference pressure amplitude for human ear = 2*10^-5 N/m^2
P = 2*10^-5*[10]^6.225
P = 33.576 N/m^2
----------------
Force on eardrum = P * area = 33.576*0.52*10^4 N
F = 1.746 milli N

This is what I did. But it is not giving me the correct answer...can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The given eardrum area is 0.520*10^-4? But in your force equation (Force on eardrum = P * area = 33.576*0.52*10^4 N) you have it as 0.52*10^4.

Your calculations are correct, but it's possible that the given values for intensity level and eardrum area are rounded or not exact. Therefore, the final answers may not match exactly with the given values of 124.5 dB and 0.520x10^-4 m^2. Additionally, the values for intensity level and eardrum area may have been calculated using different reference values, which could also lead to a slight discrepancy in the final answers. Overall, your approach and calculations seem correct and it's possible that the difference in the final answers is due to rounding or slight variations in the given values.

1. How does pressure and force affect the ear drum?

The ear drum is a thin membrane that separates the outer ear from the middle ear. When pressure and force act on the ear drum, it causes vibrations which then transmit sound through the ear to the brain.

2. What is the unit of measurement for pressure and force on the ear drum?

Pressure is measured in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m2), while force is measured in newtons (N) or millinewtons (mN). In this case, the pressure on the ear drum is 33.576 N/m2 and the force is 1.746 mN.

3. How is the pressure and force on the ear drum calculated?

The pressure on the ear drum is calculated by dividing the force applied by the surface area of the ear drum. In this case, the force is 1.746 mN and the area of the ear drum is not specified, so the pressure cannot be accurately calculated.

4. Is the pressure and force on the ear drum harmful?

The amount of pressure and force on the ear drum can vary depending on the source, but in general, the ear drum is able to handle a wide range of pressures and forces without being harmed. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of pressure and force can potentially cause damage to the ear drum and hearing.

5. Can the pressure and force on the ear drum be changed?

The pressure and force on the ear drum can be changed by altering the source of the pressure and force. For example, wearing earplugs or being in a quieter environment can decrease the pressure and force on the ear drum, while being in a louder environment or listening to music through headphones at high volumes can increase the pressure and force on the ear drum.