How Do You Calculate the Sinking Depth of Wood in Water?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the depth at which a piece of wood with specific dimensions and density will sink in water. The individual is unsure of the equations and steps needed to solve the problem and is seeking an explanation and guidance. They have calculated the volume and mass of the object and have plugged it into the buoyant force equation, but are unsure of what to do next. They also ask for clarification on the object's rotation and which side it will sink on.
zeronem
I would like someone to tell me the steps for working out this problem. Specifically I would like to know the Equations needed to use for the problem.

Here is the problem. It seems very simple, but I seen to get lost in converting SI Units and then I get confused.

A Piece of wood is 2cm X 4cm X 2mm. It has a density of 450 kg/m/m. To what Depth will it sink in water?

Anyhow, I don't know exactly what to do. I found the Volume in Meters but I have no clue if it is correct. So I then found the mass from the Density and Calculated Volume. I plug the Volume in the Bouyant Force Equation, then I find the Force of weight of the object. What do I do next? Do I find the apparent Force and divide it by Volume? I have no Idea how to find the Depth. I would like a good Explanation as well. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is density 450kg/m^3?
We don't know your object's rotation? On which side is it sinking?
Since G=F_b
[tex]
V_{sunk}d_{fluid}=V_{object}d_{object}
[/tex]
As you will see the volume under water is the same no matter its rotation.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the following equations:

1. Volume of the wood: V = l x w x h (where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height)
2. Mass of the wood: m = ρ x V (where ρ is the density and V is the volume)
3. Buoyant force: Fb = ρf x V (where ρf is the density of the fluid, in this case water)
4. Weight of the wood: W = m x g (where g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2)
5. Pressure at a given depth: P = ρf x g x h (where h is the depth)

Now, let's go through the steps to solve the problem:

1. First, convert the dimensions of the wood from centimeters to meters. This will give you a length of 0.02m, a width of 0.04m, and a height of 0.002m.

2. Use the volume equation to find the volume of the wood: V = 0.02m x 0.04m x 0.002m = 1.6 x 10^-5 m^3.

3. Next, use the density of the wood to find its mass: m = 450 kg/m^3 x 1.6 x 10^-5 m^3 = 0.0072 kg.

4. Now, use the buoyant force equation to find the buoyant force acting on the wood: Fb = 1000 kg/m^3 x 1.6 x 10^-5 m^3 = 0.016 N.

5. Then, use the weight equation to find the weight of the wood: W = 0.0072 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 0.07056 N.

6. Since the wood will sink when its weight is greater than the buoyant force, we can set these two values equal to each other and solve for the depth (h):

0.07056 N = 0.016 N + 1000 kg/m^3 x 9.8 m/s^2 x h

h = (0.07056 N - 0.016 N) / (1000 kg/m^3 x 9

1. What is the relationship between pressure and depth in a liquid or gas?

The relationship between pressure and depth in a liquid or gas is known as Pascal's law. It states that the pressure exerted on a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that as depth increases, so does the pressure exerted by the fluid.

2. How does pressure change with depth in a body of water?

The pressure in a body of water increases with depth due to the weight of the water above. For every 10 meters of depth, the pressure increases by 1 atmosphere (atm). This is known as hydrostatic pressure.

3. How does pressure affect the behavior of gases at different depths?

As depth increases, the pressure on a gas increases. This can cause gases to become more dense and decrease in volume. It can also affect the solubility of gases in liquids, as higher pressure can force more gas molecules to dissolve.

4. How does pressure change with depth in Earth's oceans?

In Earth's oceans, the pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above. This increase in pressure is not linear, as the density of seawater also increases with depth. The pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, the deepest point in the ocean, is over 1,000 times greater than at the surface.

5. How does atmospheric pressure change at higher altitudes?

Atmospheric pressure decreases as altitude increases. This is because there is less air above at higher altitudes, resulting in lower pressure. At sea level, atmospheric pressure is typically around 1 atm, but at the top of Mount Everest, it is only about 0.3 atm.