1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure and depth problem

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    I would like someone to tell me the steps for working out this problem. Specifically I would like to know the Equations needed to use for the problem.

Here is the problem. It seems very simple, but I seen to get lost in converting SI Units and then I get confused.

A Piece of wood is 2cm X 4cm X 2mm. It has a density of 450 kg/m/m. To what Depth will it sink in water?

Anyhow, I dont know exactly what to do. I found the Volume in Meters but I have no clue if it is correct. So I then found the mass from the Density and Calculated Volume. I plug the Volume in the Bouyant Force Equation, then I find the Force of weight of the object. What do I do next? Do I find the apparent Force and divide it by Volume? I have no Idea how to find the Depth. I would like a good Explanation as well. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2004 #2
    Is density 450kg/m^3?
    We don't know your object's rotation? On which side is it sinking?
    Since G=F_b
    [tex]
    V_{sunk}d_{fluid}=V_{object}d_{object}
    [/tex]
    As you will see the volume under water is the same no matter its rotation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?