Solving Pressure & Force Homework Problem

In summary, the question asks for the amount of force required to lift a lid on a box that has been evacuated to an inner pressure of 7.2e4 Pa. The formula P=F/A is used, where F is equal to the difference between atmospheric pressure and inner pressure multiplied by the area of the lid. The atmospheric pressure is more accurately represented as 100000 Pa, resulting in a final answer of 448 N.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

"A lid is put on a box that is 10 cm long, 16 cm wide, and 8.0 cm tall and the box is then evacuated until its inner pressure is 7.2e4 Pa."

How much force is required to lift the lid at sea level?

Homework Equations

I know that I have to use P=F/A
I changed my centimeters to meters also, although I'm not sure you have to.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used F = PA
F= (Atmospheric pressure - inner pressure)(lxw)
F=(100000 - 72000)(.10x.16)
F=(28000)(.016)
F=448 N

I tried this answer but got it wrong. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out! I just used a more accurate number for my atmospheric pressure instead of simply 10000.

I would first check the units and make sure they are consistent. In this case, the units for pressure are in Pascals (Pa), while the units for area are in square meters (m^2). Therefore, the force calculated in the attempt at a solution is incorrect.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula F = P x A, where F is the force required, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the lid.

First, we need to convert the dimensions of the box from centimeters to meters. This can be done by dividing each dimension by 100.

10 cm = 0.1 m
16 cm = 0.16 m
8.0 cm = 0.08 m

Now, we can calculate the area of the lid by multiplying the length and width of the box:

A = (0.1 m) x (0.16 m) = 0.016 m^2

Next, we can plug in the given pressure value and the calculated area into the formula:

F = (7.2e4 Pa) x (0.016 m^2) = 1152 N

Therefore, the force required to lift the lid at sea level is 1152 Newtons.

1. What is pressure and force?

Pressure is the amount of force applied to a given area. Force is a push or pull on an object.

2. How do you calculate pressure?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The equation is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What are some common units for pressure and force?

Some common units for pressure include Pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), and pounds per square inch (psi). Common units for force include Newtons (N), pounds (lb), and kilograms (kg).

4. How do you solve a pressure and force homework problem?

To solve a pressure and force homework problem, first identify the given variables (force, area, and pressure) and their corresponding units. Then, use the appropriate equation (P = F/A) to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, make sure to include the correct units in your answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of pressure and force?

Pressure and force are involved in many everyday activities, such as walking (force applied to the ground), blowing up a balloon (pressure inside the balloon), and using a hydraulic car lift (force applied to a small area to create a larger force on a larger area). They are also crucial in fields like engineering, physics, and aerodynamics.