1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure and Net Force Question

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    I'm working on my homework, and I have finished all the problems save for one. I think I am on the right track, but I'm lacking just a few bits of info. Here is the question (it has 2 parts, I have answered the first part correctly, but cannot get the second part correct).

Part 1

Engineers have developed a bathyscaph that can reach ocean depths of 7.72 mi. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If the density of seawater is about 1030 kg/m^3, what is the absolute pressure at that depth in Pa?

Answer - P = Pinitial + pgh = 1.25484 x 10 ^8

Part 2 (here is where I need help)

If the inside of the vessel is maintained at atmospheric pressure, 101300 Pa, what is the net force on a porthold of diameter 20.9 cm? Answer in units of N.

Well I know that F = PA, so I set up the equation:

PA - Pinitial(A) = density(g)(h)(A)

However, this doesn't solve for net force. I'm not sure if this is the actual equation I need, or if I can use it to find the net force. I was under the impression that PA - Pinitial(A) would equal the net force but it does not. I assume that I need the 20.9 cm in there somewhere. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted