How Much Force to Keep Foam Underwater?

In summary, to find the force required to hold a block of foam plastic under water with a volume of 25.0 cm^3 and a density of 0.800 g/cm^3, you must first find the mass of the foam block using the formula m=density times volume. Then, using the formula F=mg, you can calculate the weight of the foam block. Next, calculate the weight of an equal volume of water by multiplying the volume of the foam block by the density of water. Finally, subtract the weight of the foam block from the weight of the equal volume of water to get the required force to hold the block under water. This is based on Archimedes principle and the fact that the buoyant
ChunkymonkeyI

Homework Statement

A block of foam plastic has a volume of 25.0 cm^3 and a density of 0.800 g/cm^3. How large a force is required to hold it under water?

Homework Equations

F=mg, m=density times volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted 25.0 cm^3 into 2.5 times 10^-5m^3 and .800 g/cm^3 into 800 kg/m^3
Then I used the formula m=density times volume
m=(density)(volume)
m=(800 kg/m^3)(2.5 times 10^-5 m^3)
m=0.02 kg
Then I used the formula F=mg and plugged 0.02 kg for the mass and 9.80 m/s^2 as g and multiply them together to get 0.196N but Ik the answer is suppose to be .0490 and Idk what I'm doing wrong can someone help me. Maybe I didn't think about the density of water or something like that

Physics news on Phys.org
Why didn't you just multiply the volume of 25 cc by the density of .8 g/cc to get the mass of the foam? You can always convert g to kg by moving the decimal point.

Yes, if you wish to submerge the foam block, you must account of the buoyancy produced when the block is pushed and held under the water.

SteamKing said:
Why didn't you just multiply the volume of 25 cc by the density of .8 g/cc to get the mass of the foam? You can always convert g to kg by moving the decimal point.

Yes, if you wish to submerge the foam block, you must account of the buoyancy produced when the block is pushed and held under the water.

Idk what 2 do from there because I tried using Fb=density of fluid times volume of fluid times g and its still not getting me the right answer

Compute the weight of object. Compute weight of equal volume of water. Subtract them and you get 0.049 N.

LawrenceC said:
Compute the weight of object. Compute weight of equal volume of water. Subtract them and you get 0.049 N.

How do I compute the weight of equal volume because Idk what formula ur referring 2

ChunkymonkeyI said:
How do I compute the weight of equal volume because Idk what formula ur referring 2

You multiply the volume of the object by the density of water. Density of water is 1000 kg/m^3. Then convert to weight in Newtons.

Thank u very much but just wondering do u know a way 2 dervive an equation for this type of problem in order to find the force required so that time is saved?

Sure but you should be able to do that. To solve for the force to hold the object under water you computed the buoyant force as

Fb = density water * volume * gravity constant

To determine the weight of object

W = density of object * volume * gravity constant

Do the above equations suggest anything to you? Hints: common terms, factoring...

Signing off for the day.

LawrenceC said:
Sure but you should be able to do that. To solve for the force to hold the object under water you computed the buoyant force as

Fb = density water * volume * gravity constant

To determine the weight of object

W = density of object * volume * gravity constant

Do the above equations suggest anything to you? Hints: common terms, factoring...

I think I got it but just 2 be on the safe side...
In each equation u factor out Vg so now we have
Equation 1:Fb=Vg(Density of water)
Equation 2:Weight of object or Fw=Vg(density of object)
Combinding them we get Fg/density of water=Fw/Density of object
Weight of object the same as Fw which is Fweight?

LawrenceC said:

But if the object isn't moving should'nt it mean ƩF = 0 → buoyancy = mg ?? Why should we subtract them?

You must subtract them because the object you are holding under water has some weight itself. If it has too much weight, it sinks due to its own weight. Draw a free body diagram of a motionless body under water and place arrows on it denoting the forces on the object. How many forces are there?

Have you heard of Archimedes principle?

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force per unit area applied on an object or surface. It is typically measured in units of newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or pascals (Pa).

2. How does pressure affect buoyant force?

Pressure plays a crucial role in determining the buoyant force on an object. According to Archimedes' principle, the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. As pressure increases with depth in a fluid, the buoyant force also increases.

3. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure on the top and bottom of the object, which creates a net upward force.

4. How does buoyant force affect the motion of an object?

Buoyant force can either support or oppose the weight of an object, depending on its density. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will experience a net upward buoyant force and will float. However, if the object is more dense, it will experience a net downward buoyant force and will sink.

5. How is buoyant force related to the displacement of an object?

The buoyant force on an object is directly proportional to the volume of fluid it displaces. This means that the greater the volume of fluid displaced, the greater the buoyant force will be on the object.