Pressure Difference: F=10 Tonnes, A=100 sq m - Calculate & Understand

In summary, the article said that it is important to have a ceiling that is fixed so that it doesn't lift up, and to open the lanterns when it's windy outside to equalize the pressure.
Kolika28

Homework Statement

[/B]
A ceiling can blow off due to pressure difference between the inside and outside of the house. In a magazine, it said: "Let's have a ceiling of 100 square meters. A pressure difference of 1% of the air pressure between the two sides of the ceiling is equivalent to a lift of 10 tonnes. We see that the ceiling should be properly fixed against being lifted up.

a) On which side of the ceiling is the air pressure the greatest when it blows heavily outside?
b) What can be meant by the phrase "a lift of 10 tonnes"?
c) Perform calculations that confirm the information in the text.
d) When it's windy out, it's a good idea to open air lanterns in the house. Why?

Homework Equations

p=F/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

b) What can be meant by the phrase "a lift of 10 tonnes"?
F=ma=10 000kg*9,81m/s^2=98 100N≈100kN

Question b is the only one I get right. I don't know how to solve the rest because my book only tells me the equation p=F/A and does not have any more information about pressure.
Really appreciate some help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have some issues with the wording of the question but...

a) if the ceiling goes up/lifts is the pressure greater on the upper or lower surface of ceiling?

c) what is normal air pressure and what would 1% of that be?

Hi Kolika28 and welcome to PF.

You have not answered (a). It does not require an equation, just an understanding of pressure, and the answer is helpful to understanding how to use p = F/A and to answering the rest of the questions.

CWatters and Kuruman, thank you for your help! I think I understand it now. I am sorry for the wording of the question by the way if it caused some confusion!
a) If the ceiling goes up/lifts the pressure must be greater on the inside of the house, right?
c) Have to find 1% of 101, 3 kPa, which is 1013 Pa. Do I then have to add 1013Pa to 101,3kPa? And then calculate the force by putting the number in the equation like this:
101,3kPa+1013Pa=F/(100m^2)?
d) One should open the laterns to equalize the pressure?

(a) and (d) are correct. For (c) consider that you have a force pushing down and another force from the inside pushing up. If the two are equal, nothing happens. It's the net force that counts. What is the net force in this case?

Ohhh, of course. The net force is 1013Pa.
p=F/A
F=pA
F=1013Pa*100m^2

Thank you so much!

What is pressure difference?

Pressure difference refers to the difference in pressure between two points or areas. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

What is the formula for calculating pressure difference?

The formula for calculating pressure difference is F/A, where F is the force applied and A is the area over which the force is applied. This formula is also known as the pressure equation.

How do I calculate pressure difference if the force is 10 tonnes and the area is 100 square meters?

To calculate pressure difference with the given values, simply plug in the numbers into the pressure equation. In this case, the pressure difference would be 10 tonnes/100 square meters, or 0.1 tonnes per square meter.

Why is pressure difference important?

Pressure difference is an important concept in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and fluid mechanics. It helps us understand the forces acting on objects and how they affect their surroundings.

What are some real-life examples of pressure difference?

Some common examples of pressure difference include the pressure inside a tire, the force exerted by a person standing on the ground, and the pressure difference between the inside and outside of a balloon. It also plays a role in weather systems and blood circulation in our bodies.