Pressure distrubution inside accelerating vehicle

Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses an accelerating vehicle with air inside a closed box and two objectives: deriving the steady state and transient pressure distributions inside the box. Two solution attempts are presented, one using the barometric formula and the other using the equation of motion for a fluid element in an accelerating flow. Suggestions are given, including considering the ideal gas law, the equation of motion, and the effects of boundary conditions, viscosity, and compressibility on the pressure distribution.
rulmismo

Homework Statement

We have an accelerating vehicle with constant a. Air inside it with mass m.
It is kind of closed box of length L and front area S.
First objetive: we want to derive the steady state pressure distribution inside the box.
Second objetive: we want to derive the transient pressure distribution inside the box.
2vdr6nl.jpg

Homework Equations

My first guess was to assimilate the problem to an atmosfere with gravitatory field of g=a and use the barometric formula for calculating the pressure distribution.
Second try is to use simplified Navier eq. but I don´t know how exactly...

The Attempt at a Solution

First try with barometric formula:
Force over the mass of air inside: Fa = m a
Reaction pressure over the rear side: Pa=Fa/S
Assuming barometric distribution inside with g=a (M molar mass of air)
P(x)=C exp( -M a x / (RT) )
with initial condition at rear side P(0)=C=Pa
This gives a very weak variation with length (i.e for 60m it just changes 0,1Pa) so I don´t trust this solution.

Second try:
Assuming 1D problem, incompressible fluid and no viscosity:
dV/dt = f - (1/ro) dP/dx
If steady state: f = (1/ro) dP/dx

update: checking dimensinally it seems that f is an acceleration so it should be a, and it is in opposite sense of x so:
dP = -ro a dx

integrating P(x)=-ro a x + C,

Now I know that in x=0, I have Pa= m a / S, so P(x)= - ro a x + m a /S

With 1m/s2 this gives a linear gradient of pressure about 1.2Pa/m length of the vehicle.
¿it makes sense this result?
I would appreciate any comment or help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting post. The problem you have described is indeed a challenging one, and I would like to offer some suggestions for your solution attempts.

Firstly, for the steady state pressure distribution inside the box, it may be helpful to consider the ideal gas law, which relates pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. In this case, the volume of the box is fixed, but the temperature may change due to the acceleration of the vehicle. You can use this relationship to derive the pressure distribution.

For the transient pressure distribution, it may be useful to consider the equation of motion for a fluid element in an accelerating flow. This equation takes into account both the acceleration and the change in pressure with respect to distance. By solving this equation, you can obtain the transient pressure distribution inside the box.

I would also recommend considering the boundary conditions at the front and rear of the box, as these will affect the pressure distribution inside. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the effects of viscosity and compressibility on the pressure distribution.

I hope these suggestions help you in your solution attempts. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle?

The pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle refers to the way in which pressure is distributed throughout the vehicle as it accelerates. This includes the changes in pressure experienced by different parts of the vehicle, such as the front and back, top and bottom, and left and right sides.

2. Why is pressure distribution important in an accelerating vehicle?

Pressure distribution is important in an accelerating vehicle because it affects the overall stability and handling of the vehicle. An uneven distribution of pressure can lead to imbalances in weight and traction, which can impact the vehicle's ability to accelerate, brake, and turn safely.

3. How is pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle measured?

Pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle can be measured using pressure sensors placed at various points on the vehicle. These sensors can provide real-time data on the distribution of pressure and how it changes as the vehicle accelerates.

4. What factors can affect pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle?

Some factors that can affect pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle include the vehicle's design and weight distribution, the type of tires and suspension system, as well as external factors such as wind and road conditions.

5. Can pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle be adjusted?

Yes, pressure distribution inside an accelerating vehicle can be adjusted through changes to the vehicle's design, tire pressure, or suspension system. These adjustments can help improve the overall stability and handling of the vehicle during acceleration.