1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure drop in packed columns

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    Dear friends:

I am new to this forum. I had few quarries on modeling of pressure drop through packed beds.
    1) In darcy or ergun equation, In any standard textbooks or published literature, the velocity is reported as superficial velocity but not mentioned weather this velocity is measured at the inlet or outlet of the column. pressure and velocity are related to each other in a gas phase system. Because of pressure drop, the velocity is different at the inlet and outlet of the column. the darcy and ergun constants are different for inlet and exit velocities. I greatly appreciate if any one could clarify which is the right velocity that can be used to model the pressure drop and back out the constants.
    2) the particle size in this study is 70 microns and column to tube diameter ratio is 178. The darcy is constants obtained is 5300(using inlet velocity). i could not able to understand why we are getting such high value for darcy constnat. we are expect the clustering of particles and behaveing like a big size particle. Any suggestions on the results?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Rtapan

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted