1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure drop problem (using the darcy law)

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the pressure drop in a tower packed with porous support. This tower is an integral part of a water oxygenation system and will need to operate over extended periods without cleaning.

From the following data estimate the pressure drop you expect to see on start-up

Diamter = 1.5m
    Height = 3m
    Support size = 0.004m

2. Relevant equations

Δp = (uμh)/β

u is liquid velocity
    μ is liquid viscosity (I.e. water)
    β is bead permitivitty (I.e the support)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have had no problem calculating β and got 4.9 x 10^-9m
    Where I get stuck is finding 'u'

for these problems I usually use the formula u = Q/A
    Volumetric flow rate over cross sectional area - however in this instance there is no information about the volumetric flow rate

Should I assume a volumetric flow rate? Or is there a way to calculate it from the above information? (sometimes they give something away in the wording such as 'start up' - not sure what I should take from that)

Are there any other equations I can use? This is a 15 mark question so I'm assuming there's a bit of calculation that needs to go into it.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?