Pressure Drop value location

However, calculations and experiments usually provide the average pressure drop over the surface of the pipe. In summary, when measuring pressure drop through a pipe, experimental and calculated values are usually averaged over the pipe surface rather than taken at a specific point on the centerline.
James H
Hello,

I am calculating pressure drop through a pipe using CFD, which will be validated with hand calculations and experiments for a project. When I take results from my software, I can either take the pressure at a specific point (assume the centreline of the pipe) or I can take an average pressure of the pipe cross section.

When we measure pressure drop experimentally or using calculations, is this usually a specific value in the pipe centreline, or as an average over the surface?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
James H said:
Hello,

I am calculating pressure drop through a pipe using CFD, which will be validated with hand calculations and experiments for a project. When I take results from my software, I can either take the pressure at a specific point (assume the centreline of the pipe) or I can take an average pressure of the pipe cross section.

When we measure pressure drop experimentally or using calculations, is this usually a specific value in the pipe centreline, or as an average over the surface?

Thanks.
If a pitot tube is used to measure pressure it will be situated in the pipe centerline.

1. What is a pressure drop value location?

A pressure drop value location is a specific point within a system or component where the pressure drop is measured. This location is typically chosen based on its ability to accurately represent the pressure drop across the entire system or component.

2. Why is pressure drop value location important in scientific research?

Pressure drop value location is important in scientific research because it provides valuable information about the flow and efficiency of a system or component. It can also help identify potential problems or areas for improvement in a system.

3. How is the pressure drop value location determined?

The pressure drop value location is typically determined based on the specific goals of the research or the desired outcome. Factors such as flow rate, fluid properties, and system design may also influence the location chosen.

4. Can the pressure drop value location be changed?

Yes, the pressure drop value location can be changed, but it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on the results and the overall accuracy of the measurement. Changing the location may require recalibration of instruments or adjustments to the system.

5. What are some common methods for measuring pressure drop value location?

Some common methods for measuring pressure drop value location include using pressure sensors, manometers, or flow meters. The specific method chosen will depend on the system and the desired level of accuracy.