Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure Drop

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    Hello... I can't find the difference between the pressure drop in a pipe due to frictionnal loss and the Pressure difference that cause the flow like in Poiseuille Flow.. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2
    They are completely different ideas...what specifically don't you understand about either?

Edit: Oh are you talking about like the losses associated with flows like Poiseuille Flow?

4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    If you are asking how this solution to pressure drop is associated with similar ideas such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, the answer is that the analytical (experimentally derived) Darcy-Weisbach equation is employable under broader circumstances.

The assumptions taken for Poiseuille Flow equations are (from wikipedia) "...that the fluid is viscous and incompressible; the flow is laminar through a pipe of constant circular cross-section that is substantially longer than its diameter; and there is no acceleration of fluid in the pipe". In theory this is a nice equation to look at to understand where the mechanical energy is being lost to, but in practical applications of pressure drop analysis it is rarely, if ever, employed.

Basically: Poiseuille equation is theoretical, solutions like Hazen-Williams and Darcy-Weisbach are analytical.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. Jan 9, 2013 #4
    we say that gradient pressure cause flow but in pipe flow the pressure different is due to friction loss

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    To see how people generally use these equations (Poiseuille is mentioned in there), see http://www.kimberly.uidaho.edu/water/papers/others/Allen_1996_Trans_ASAE_Relating_HazenWilliams_and_DarcyWeisbach.pdf [Broken]

A solution to Poiseuille's equation is used to approximate the D-W friction factor for Laminar, fully developed flow in long pipes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jan 9, 2013 #6
    Thank you i understand it

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7
    In polymer processing applications, typically involving high viscosity polymer melts (say 1000 Poise), the Poiseuille pressure drop equation is used extensively. This includes the entire man-made fiber industry, polymer granule production industry, and plastics manufacture industry. In addition, it applies to flow of ordinary fluids through capillaries.

9. Jan 17, 2013 #8
    Thanks for that, I wasn't aware it was so widely used in that industry. I've never personally had any experience with such high viscosity fluids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook