1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure due to a liquid

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Consider the vessel in the figure shown. It contains a liquid of density p. Calculate the pressure, and give the direction of the force on the container due to the liquid, acting at each of the following points.

b) Consider the second figure shown. Why is the pressure the same at point C and D?
    Why is the pressure at point X and Y different?
    2. Relevant equations
    P=pgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I'm not sure what the pressure is at point B. Sometimes I think the pressure is 0 but sometimes I think the pressure is P=pg(h1-h2) because the pressure is the same at all points on a horizontal plane.

b) The pressure at C and D is the same because they're at the same horizontal level.
    The pressure at X and Y is different because they lie in different liquids (oil and water) so the density is different therefore the pressure is different?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes you are correct. ;)

Correct.

In the same fluid at the same height, the pressure must be the same.

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    Thank you! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted