Solving Pressure Equilibrium Problem Involving Oil & Mercury

In summary, two identical containers connected by a tube and valve, filled with oil and mercury respectively, reach equilibrium when the pressures at the bottom of the containers are equal. Using the densities of the fluids and the formula for pressure, the fluid level in the left container is determined to be 1.2794m after the valve is opened. Despite the correct calculation, the computer may not recognize the answer due to the use of too many significant figures.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Two identical containers are open at the top and are connected at the bottom via a tube of negligible volume and a valve that is initially closed. Both containers are filled initially to the same height of h = 1.00m, the left with oil, and the right with mercury. The valve is then opened. Oil and mercury have densities of 6,000 kg/m3 and 13,600 kg/m3 , respectively. The oil and mercury do not mix.

Determine the fluid level in the left container when equilibrium is established again.

The Attempt at a Solution

Because mercury is more dense than oil, some of the mercury will transfer to the left container and the pressure at the bottom of the left container must equal the pressure at the bottom of the right container.

Pressure between oil and mercury on left container[itex] = (101325) + (6000)(9.81)(1) = 160185 Pa[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the left container[itex] = 160185 + (13600)(9.81)(h) = 160185 + 133416h[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the right container[itex] = 101325 + (13600)(9.81)(1-h) = 101325 + 133416 - 133416h = 234741 - 133416h[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the right container must equal the pressure on the bottom of the left container

[itex]234741 - 133416h = 160185 + 133416h[/itex]

[itex]74556 = 266832h[/itex]

[itex]h=0.2794m[/itex]

So the fluid level of the left container equals 1.00+0.2794 = 1.2794. The site says that this is wrong but I can't find my mistake. I've checked the answer and the pressures on the bottom of both containers don't equal. I've tried to find the mistake but I really can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
PirateFan308 said:

Homework Statement

Two identical containers are open at the top and are connected at the bottom via a tube of negligible volume and a valve that is initially closed. Both containers are filled initially to the same height of h = 1.00m, the left with oil, and the right with mercury. The valve is then opened. Oil and mercury have densities of 6,000 kg/m3 and 13,600 kg/m3 , respectively. The oil and mercury do not mix.

Determine the fluid level in the left container when equilibrium is established again.

The Attempt at a Solution

Because mercury is more dense than oil, some of the mercury will transfer to the left container and the pressure at the bottom of the left container must equal the pressure at the bottom of the right container.

Pressure between oil and mercury on left container[itex] = (101325) + (6000)(9.81)(1) = 160185 Pa[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the left container[itex] = 160185 + (13600)(9.81)(h) = 160185 + 133416h[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the right container[itex] = 101325 + (13600)(9.81)(1-h) = 101325 + 133416 - 133416h = 234741 - 133416h[/itex]

Pressure on the bottom of the right container must equal the pressure on the bottom of the left container

[itex]234741 - 133416h = 160185 + 133416h[/itex]

[itex]74556 = 266832h[/itex]

[itex]h=0.2794m[/itex]

So the fluid level of the left container equals 1.00+0.2794 = 1.2794. The site says that this is wrong but I can't find my mistake. I've checked the answer and the pressures on the bottom of both containers don't equal. I've tried to find the mistake but I really can't find it.

I get the same answer you do. Your answer is right. Maybe try using less significant figures since this is a computer doing the checking.

1. How do you calculate pressure equilibrium in a system involving oil and mercury?

To calculate pressure equilibrium, you need to use the equation P1 = P2 + ρgh, where P1 is the pressure at the bottom of the oil, P2 is the pressure at the bottom of the mercury, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid column. This equation assumes that the pressure at the surface of the oil and mercury is equal.

2. What is the significance of pressure equilibrium in a system involving oil and mercury?

Pressure equilibrium is important because it ensures that the pressure at any point in the system is equal, which means that the liquids are in a state of balance and will not move or mix. This is important in systems such as barometers or manometers, where accurate pressure measurements are needed.

3. How does the density of the liquids affect the pressure equilibrium in a system?

The density of the liquids plays a crucial role in determining the pressure equilibrium in a system. The higher the density of a liquid, the higher the pressure it exerts on the bottom of the container. This means that in a system involving oil and mercury, the pressure at the bottom of the mercury will be higher than the pressure at the bottom of the oil.

4. Can pressure equilibrium be achieved in a system involving two immiscible liquids?

Yes, pressure equilibrium can be achieved in a system involving two immiscible liquids, such as oil and mercury. This is because the pressure at any point in the system is determined by the weight of the liquid above it, and the density of the liquids. As long as the pressure at the surface of the liquids is equal, pressure equilibrium will be achieved.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving pressure equilibrium problems involving oil and mercury?

Solving pressure equilibrium problems involving oil and mercury is important in many real-life applications. Some examples include measuring atmospheric pressure with a barometer, monitoring pressure changes in a hydraulic system, and calibrating pressure gauges in industry. It is also used in medical devices, such as blood pressure monitors, and in weather forecasting instruments.