Explaining Pressure: Candle + Water + Jar Experiment

In summary, the experiment involved standing a candle on a small puddle of water on a plate, covering it with a glass jar, and observing the water level rise inside the jar when the candle burned out. This was initially explained as the candle burning the oxygen in the jar, but further research showed conflicting sources. The accurate explanation involves both chemical and physical effects, where the hot air above the burning candle is less dense and trapped in the jar, causing a drop in pressure when it cools down. This pressure difference then causes the water to rise. Further experiments can be done by altering the space above the candle and the shape of the jar to observe the effects on water level.
Jimmy87
Hi, we did this experiment as an introduction to pressure where you stand a candle on top of a small puddle of water on the bottom of a plate. You then put a glass jar over it and when the candle burns out the water level goes up inside the jar. I found this which shows the experiment if I haven't described it properly:

We were told that the candle burns the oxgyen in the glass jar and this is why it rises. However after reading I found contradicting sources e.g. http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/why-does-the-water-rise/. Where it says that this line of thinking is a common misconception. Please could someone explain the correct way? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i suspect its because the hot gases are now rapidly cooling thus dropping the pressure inside, the water moves to equalize the pressure on both sides. and hah, if you could do this in horizontal fashion you would get a lot more water to enter.

Likes Jimmy87
What do people make to the accuaracy of the science behind this link:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/pedagogy/waterexperiment/

That there are two effects; one chemical and one physical which balance each other our to start off with hence no water level change when the candle is burning. When the candle burns out there is less air molecules than you started with (as more O2 is consumed than CO2 is released) but the pressure is the same as this is balanced by the increase in temperature. Since the candle has gone out the temperature falls which will decreases the air pressure but not really because the temperature fell so much but because the there are less air molecules than you started with. If you heat up the air and cool it down there would be no pressure change so there must be a loss of air molecules. I definitely did not observe any bubbles coming out from underneath so I don't think air molecules are lost this way but more because of the chemical symbol equation showing less CO2 is released than oxygen is consumed.

I think it seems to fit better because if the oxygen consumption explanation was the only cause then the water level would gradually increase form the start and it doesn't move at all until the candle goes out.

Here's what I would hypothesize:

The air above the candle is hot while the candle is burning. That air is less dense than the surrounding air. When you place the glass jar over it, you are trapping the hot air inside it. The candle burns out (because of lack of oxygen) and the air inside the jar cools. That air becomes more dense and creates a volume of relatively low air pressure inside the jar. The pressure difference sucks the water up.

An interesting experiment would be to do the experiment again and reduce the amount of space in the jar that is present above the candle. So make it less tall. Maybe also make the jar fatter so as to keep the jar volume constant. The less space above the candle, the less hot air you trap when placing the jar over it, and (I would think) the less air there is to cool and create a zone of low pressure, and the less water to rise.

1. What is the purpose of the candle + water + jar experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to demonstrate how pressure changes as the volume of a gas changes. It also illustrates the concept of atmospheric pressure and how it affects the behavior of gases.

2. How do you perform the candle + water + jar experiment?

To perform the experiment, you will need a jar, a candle, water, and a plate. Fill the jar with water and place the plate on top to cover the opening. Light the candle and place it on top of the plate. As the candle burns, the water level inside the jar will rise, demonstrating the decrease in volume due to the burning candle.

3. What causes the water level in the jar to rise during the experiment?

The rising water level is caused by the decrease in volume of air inside the jar as the candle burns. As the air inside the jar is heated, it expands and escapes through the small gaps between the plate and the jar. This results in a decrease in pressure inside the jar, causing the water to rise to fill the space.

4. What is the relationship between volume and pressure in the candle + water + jar experiment?

The experiment demonstrates Boyle's Law, which states that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, assuming constant temperature. In this case, the burning candle decreases the volume of air inside the jar, resulting in an increase in pressure.

5. How does the candle + water + jar experiment relate to real-world applications?

The experiment can help us understand the behavior of gases and the concept of atmospheric pressure, which is essential in various real-world applications. For example, it can help explain why a balloon will expand when heated or why a scuba diver experiences changes in pressure as they dive deeper into the water.