Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure & Force conversions?

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    I am trying to figure out how to convert the pressure from a low frequency sound wave at high decibel levels in short bursts, to a measurable force, such as "proper acceleration".
    So far I have gathered that 160DB is equivalent to .290 PSI or 2000 Pascal, I am just having a very difficult time trying to convert that into a product of Force. I believe that this kind of pressure exerted on an object with a high sensitivity of failure due to initial shock, will ultimately fail however, I am trying to back that idea up with measurable data, and not by JUST physical, real world, testing.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    I am by no means an expert -- but it seems to me calculating the force requires knowledge of the surface area involved. Since PSI means "pounds per square inch", .290 PSI over 1 square inch = .290 lbs, whereas .290 PSI over 10 square inches = 2.90 lbs.

That's the simple answer -- but I suppose it would also depends on whether you mean the force acting on the sound emitter (force on a speaker cone), the force exerted by the sound emitter (speaker cone's force on the air), or the force on an object at a distance from the sound emitter (force of air pressure on your eardrum).

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    I am trying to determine the impacting forces on an object(s) when placed inside a sealed chamber, which is pressurized by multiple large diameter speakers. I took a quick measurement, and while one objects surface area is quite small at only 23"^2in (6.67lbs of force) the other is 143^2in. (41.47lbs of force). Thx for trying to help with this small "insignificant" problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook