1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure & Force conversions?

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    I am trying to figure out how to convert the pressure from a low frequency sound wave at high decibel levels in short bursts, to a measurable force, such as "proper acceleration".
    So far I have gathered that 160DB is equivalent to .290 PSI or 2000 Pascal, I am just having a very difficult time trying to convert that into a product of Force. I believe that this kind of pressure exerted on an object with a high sensitivity of failure due to initial shock, will ultimately fail however, I am trying to back that idea up with measurable data, and not by JUST physical, real world, testing.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    I am by no means an expert -- but it seems to me calculating the force requires knowledge of the surface area involved. Since PSI means "pounds per square inch", .290 PSI over 1 square inch = .290 lbs, whereas .290 PSI over 10 square inches = 2.90 lbs.

That's the simple answer -- but I suppose it would also depends on whether you mean the force acting on the sound emitter (force on a speaker cone), the force exerted by the sound emitter (speaker cone's force on the air), or the force on an object at a distance from the sound emitter (force of air pressure on your eardrum).

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    I am trying to determine the impacting forces on an object(s) when placed inside a sealed chamber, which is pressurized by multiple large diameter speakers. I took a quick measurement, and while one objects surface area is quite small at only 23"^2in (6.67lbs of force) the other is 143^2in. (41.47lbs of force). Thx for trying to help with this small "insignificant" problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook