Understanding Pressure Force Direction in Control Volumes

In summary, the correct answer is that the pressure on the control volume yields a stress vector on the boundaries of -P\vec{i_x} on the right and +P\vec{i_x} on the left.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment.

The net pressure force on this control volume is P1*A - P2*A. My question concerns the direction signs.

My thinking is this:
The unit vector on the control volume naturally points outward (n hat). Since the pressure force PA is pushing TOWARDS the control volume, dotting PA and (n hat) would give you -PAn (since the force and unit vector are in opposite directions). Summing the pressure force on this control volume should then yield -P1A-P2A. So I'm very confused why the correct answer is P1A-P2A. Thanks. Maybe I screwed up on the unit vector, is it different for pressure?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xzibition8612 said:

Homework Statement

See attachment.

The net pressure force on this control volume is P1*A - P2*A. My question concerns the direction signs.

My thinking is this:
The unit vector on the control volume naturally points outward (n hat). Since the pressure force PA is pushing TOWARDS the control volume, dotting PA and (n hat) would give you -PAn (since the force and unit vector are in opposite directions). Summing the pressure force on this control volume should then yield -P1A-P2A. So I'm very confused why the correct answer is P1A-P2A. Thanks. Maybe I screwed up on the unit vector, is it different for pressure?

Homework Equations

I would think that if the x-axis points to the right in this problem, then the signs in their answer are correct. If the difference in pressures results in motion along the x-axis, then the signs of the resulting motion would be correct.

xzibition8612 said:

Homework Statement

See attachment.

My thinking is this:

Homework Equations

This is a very good question. The pressure is part of the stress tensor which can be expressed, for negligible viscous situations, as

[tex]\vec{σ}=-P(\vec{i_x}\vec{i_x}+\vec{i_y}\vec{i_y}+\vec{i_z}\vec{i_z})[/tex]
The stress vector on a surface bounding a region is obtained by dotting the stress tensor with an outwardly directed unit normal [itex]\vec{i_n}[/itex]. The stress vector on the surface is the force per unit area exerted by the material in the region toward which the normal is pointing, and on the material from which the normal is pointing.

For your problem, the outwardly directed unit normal for the boundary on the right is given by [itex]\vec{i_n}=+\vec{i_x}[/itex]. So, if you dot the stress tensor with this unit normal, you get a stress vector on the right boundary of [itex]-P\vec{i_x}[/itex]. For the boundary on the left, the outwardly directed unit normal is [itex]\vec{i_n}=-\vec{i_x}[/itex]. So, if you dot the stress tensor with this unit normal, you get a stress vector on the left boundary of [itex]+P\vec{i_x}[/itex].

I hope this helps. It is important to recognize that the pressure is part of the stress tensor, and also to make use of the Cauchy stress relationship which says that the stress vector on a surface is equal to the stress tensor dotted with a unit normal to the surface. It also helps to know dyadic notation, which makes it easy to dot second order tensors with vectors.

Likes 1 person

What is pressure force direction?

Pressure force direction refers to the direction in which a force is being applied to an object or substance. It is important in understanding how the force will affect the object or substance and how it will respond.

How is pressure force direction determined?

Pressure force direction is determined by the direction in which the force is being applied. For example, if a force is being applied vertically downward, the pressure force direction will be downward.

Why is pressure force direction important?

Pressure force direction is important because it helps us understand the effects of a force on an object or substance. It also helps us predict how the object or substance will behave under the applied force.

How does pressure force direction affect the motion of an object or substance?

The pressure force direction can affect the motion of an object or substance by either causing it to move or by changing its direction of motion. For example, if a force is applied horizontally to an object, it will cause the object to move horizontally.

Can pressure force direction be changed?

Yes, pressure force direction can be changed by changing the direction in which the force is being applied. This can be done by adjusting the angle of the force or by applying a force in a different direction.