Calculating Fluid Force on Cylinder End at A: Homework Help and Solution Attempt

In summary, the homework statement states that the force exerted on the end of the cylinder at A is 2600 N. Pressure can be ignored because its effect will be zero on the final force exerted. The Attempt at a Solution provides a solution for finding the pressure if atmospheric pressure is accounted for. The final answer for part b is 5992.65 N.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

How much force does the fluid exert on the end of the cylinder at A?

apressure.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

p= po + density*g*d
Can I say the pressure is (10kg)(9.80)/pi*(.02m)^2 + (900 kg/m^3)*(9.80)(.70m) and set that equal to F/pi*(.1m)^2 to solve for force? Does the tube enter the container at halfway up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see anything wrong with your answer assuming as you have that the tube enters the container at halfway up. Without that assumption its not possible to give a final answer.
Normal atmospheric pressure can be ignored because its effect will be zero on the final force exerted.

I did Pressure= (10kg)*(9.80)/pi*(.02m)^2 + (900kg/m^3)(9.80)(.70m) = 84159.92 N/m^2

84159.92 = F/pi * (.1m)^2 F= 2600 N rounded off with two significant figures because the question tells me to, but this is wrong. What's not quite right?

Hi bcjochim07,

I think you need to account for the atmospheric pressure that acts above the piston.

ok, I didn't understand why apelling told me I didn't

so Pressure = (10kg)(9.80)/pi*(.02m)^2 + 101300N/m^2 + (900kg/m^3)(9.80)(.70) = 185460

185460 = F/pi* (.1m)^2 F= 5800 N ?

also the second part of the question asks for force at b, so I would do the same sort of thing only with a depth of 1.3m?

As long as it's safe to assume that these pipes and things are circular in cross section (and that your original assumption about the halfway mark is correct), I think that's right.

Ok so here's what I did for the force at b:

(10kg)(9.80)/pi*(.02m)^2 + 101300 + (1.3m)(9.80)(900 kg/m^3) = P

P= 190752 = F/ pi * (.1m)^2 F= 5992.65 N. This is mastering physics homework, and it says to round it to two significant figures, anybody know how I would do that on a computer?

Oh ok... scientific notation of course. Does my answer for part b seem logical?

The reason why I suggested ignoring atmospheric pressure is because I was thinking in terms of the resultant force on the cylinder end, whereas you required the force from the liquid only. Sorry to have mislead you.

Does my answer for part b seem ok?

Any thoughts anybody?

If you're having doubts about it, you can use the pressures at A and B to check that they are consistent, using the same equation:

[tex]
P_B = P_A +\rho g h
[/tex]

where h is the depth of B relative to A.

Or you can compare the forces at A and B. The force at B is the force at A (that is the force the top of the container is pusing down on the fluid) plus the weight of the fluid above point B:

[tex]
\begin{align}
F_B &= F_A + m g \nonumber\\
&= F_A + \rho g (\pi r^2) h\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

because [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex] is the volume of the liquid above point B. (Be sure to use the full number for [itex]F_A[/itex], though, not the amount after you rounded off to two digits.)

What is fluid force on cylinder end at A?

Fluid force on cylinder end at A is the force exerted by a fluid on the end of a cylinder that is exposed to the flow of the fluid. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder and is caused by the pressure of the fluid hitting the end of the cylinder.

How is fluid force on cylinder end at A calculated?

The fluid force on cylinder end at A can be calculated using the formula F = PA, where F is the fluid force, P is the pressure of the fluid, and A is the surface area of the cylinder end. This formula assumes that the pressure is uniform across the surface of the cylinder end.

What are the units of measurement for fluid force on cylinder end at A?

The units of measurement for fluid force on cylinder end at A are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What factors affect the fluid force on cylinder end at A?

The fluid force on cylinder end at A is affected by several factors, including the density of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, the diameter of the cylinder, and the orientation of the cylinder relative to the flow of the fluid. These factors can impact the pressure and surface area, which in turn affect the fluid force on the cylinder end.

How can I use the calculated fluid force on cylinder end at A?

The calculated fluid force on cylinder end at A can be used to determine the stability and strength of a cylinder in a fluid flow. It can also be used in engineering and design to ensure that a cylinder can withstand the forces exerted by a fluid.