P = F Sin/Cos Angle / A: Explained!

• Thread starter AmirWG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, when calculating an angle using the cos and sin of theta, you want to take into account the component which is perpendicular to the surface.
AmirWG
What's the difference between
P = FSin Angle / A
P = FCos Angle / A
Why cannot we use F / A only in both forumlas? I am really confused
When I should use each one of these forumlas ? I just need someone to explain each one of them ... Here's a pic to what I am referring to
20190217-223046.jpg

, why cannot we always use the big F in the middle
Thanks In advance .

Attachments

• 20190217-223046.jpg
    20190217-223046.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AmirWG said:
P = FSin Angle / A
P = FCos Angle / A
Thanks In advance .
You need to add parentheses to show what it is that your statements are supposed to mean

AmirWG said:
P = FSin Angle / A
P = FCos Angle / A
Thanks In advance .
Please give some context as to how these angles are presented in the situation.

When I should use each one of these forumlas ? I just need someone to explain each one of them ... Here's a pic to what I am referring to https://ibb.co/M1GJRPF , why cannot we always use the big F in the middle , the question might be lame but I just suck when it comes to dealing with forces, I am sorry for not being specific .

AmirWG said:
Here's a pic to what I am referring to https://ibb.co/M1GJRPF ,
posting your image on that site with the correct orientation would stop everyone turning on their side to read it

davenn said:
posting your image on that site with the correct orientation would stop everyone turning on their side to read it
20190217-223046.jpg

Attachments

• 20190217-223046.jpg
    20190217-223046.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 486
Likes davenn
Because F is not perpendicular to the surface you have to multiply by the cos or sin of theta.

AmirWG said:
When I should use each one of these forumlas ? I just need someone to explain each one of them ... Here's a pic to what I am referring to https://ibb.co/M1GJRPF , why cannot we always use the big F in the middle , the question might be lame but I just suck when it comes to dealing with forces, I am sorry for not being specific .

You need the component of F that is perpendicular to the surface. Think about it. If F is close to being parallel to the surface, is there a lot of force being applied to that surface?

You should never simply apply a formula blindly. You need to understand what the physics is, and what physical issues are involved. Do not simply use a formula without understanding what it is saying.

Zz.

Likes sophiecentaur and scottdave
Like @ZapperZ said, you want to consider the component which is perpendicular to the surface. Notice where the Θ is positioned in each of the pictures. You could just say "I'm only going to measure the angle from the surface", like the picture on the left. Then you use Sine. But if they give you a different angle, you may need to calculate the proper angle to take the sine of.

Likes sophiecentaur
@AmirWG The following applies throughout Science (and life)
ZapperZ said:
Do not simply use a formula without understanding what it is saying.
You be fair to the OP, I would take issue with the two quoted diagrams because they are using the same symbol for different angles. If they had used, say θ and φ then you would possibly have noticed that θ + φ = 90°. The rest is trigonometry.

Likes scottdave

1. What is the formula for P = F Sin/Cos Angle / A?

The formula for P = F Sin/Cos Angle / A is used to calculate the power (P) of a force (F) acting at an angle (Angle) over a distance (A).

2. How is P = F Sin/Cos Angle / A used in science?

This formula is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of work or energy being done by a force at an angle.

3. Can you explain the trigonometric functions involved in this formula?

The sine (Sin) and cosine (Cos) functions are used to calculate the components of a force acting at an angle. The sine function calculates the vertical component of the force, while the cosine function calculates the horizontal component.

4. What is the significance of the angle in this formula?

The angle in this formula represents the direction of the force in relation to the direction of the displacement. It is important to consider this angle in order to accurately calculate the power of the force.

5. Are there any real-world applications of P = F Sin/Cos Angle / A?

Yes, this formula is commonly used in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering to calculate the power of forces acting at an angle. It can also be used to calculate the efficiency of machines and to determine the work done by a force over a specific distance.