1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pressure from compression

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    a sample of an idel monotomic gas is intially at a pressure 1.6*10^4Pa and undergoes an adiabatic compression which halves the volume. What is the final pressure?

ive been trying to find a way of useing the equation W=-P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V but am starting to think this is the wrong one as i cant see how i can use it.

any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Find the relation between pressure and volume of an ideal gas during an adiabatic process.

ehild

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    sorry i cant see it :(,

i can only see that p*V= a constant but not sure how to use that here!

am i way off track?

5. Jun 3, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    im still unclear on the relationship after reading that

7. Jun 3, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Jun 3, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper

The mathematical equation for an ideal fluid undergoing a reversible (i.e., no entropy generation) adiabatic process is

[tex] P V^{\gamma} = \operatorname{constant} \qquad [/tex]

where P is pressure, V is volume, and

[tex] \gamma = {C_{P} \over C_{V}} = \frac{\alpha + 1}{\alpha}[/tex],

CP being the specific heat for constant pressure, CV being the specific heat for constant volume, γ is the adiabatic index, and α is the number of degrees of freedom divided by 2 (3/2 for monatomic gas, 5/2 for diatomic gas).

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook