Calculating Pressure from Contact Surface

In summary, the object with a mass of 10 Kg and a contact surface of 25 cm^2 exerts a pressure of 244.5 Pa on the surface. This is calculated by converting the surface area to m^2 and using the formula Pressure = Force/area, where the force is found by multiplying the mass by the acceleration due to gravity.
Nerikk

Homework Statement

The object has a mass of 10 Kg. And it has a contact surface of 25 cm^2. How much pressure do the object apply to surface? Give your answer is Pascals.

Homework Equations

N

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, I think I need to divide the mass with with the surface area to get kilogram-force per squared centimeter. Then I need to convert it into Pascals. But how do I convert it to Pascals? Is there a formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to find the force. What is the force due to gravity? (F=?)

one pascal is 1 N/m^2. so you need to use Newtons and meters. This means convert cm^2 to m^2.

Then you can use the definition of pressure (Pressure = Force/area), and your answer will be in pascals.

Since Englsih isn't my first language so I had a bit of a hard time to understand, but I think I got it.
F=m*g
F=10kg*9,78=97,8N
Then 25cm^2=0,4m^2
97,8 N per 0,4m^2
Pascal=97,8 N / 0,4m^2 = 244,5 Pa
Pascal=244,5
How is that?

1 cm = 1/100 m, and 1 cm^2 = (1/100)^2 m^2 = 1/10000 m^2. therefore 25 cm^2 = ?
hint: it is not 0.4m^2

Otherwise your method looks correct

Oh yea, it's 0,0025m^2 since it's squared. Thank you!

What is pressure from contact surface?

Pressure from contact surface is the force per unit area applied to an object by another object in direct contact with it. It is also known as contact pressure or surface pressure.

How is pressure from contact surface measured?

Pressure from contact surface is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). It can be measured using specialized instruments, such as pressure sensors or pressure gauges.

What factors affect pressure from contact surface?

The amount of pressure from contact surface is influenced by several factors, including the force applied, the surface area over which the force is applied, and the material properties of both objects in contact. Friction between the two objects can also impact the pressure.

What are some real-world examples of pressure from contact surface?

There are many examples of pressure from contact surface in our daily lives. For instance, the pressure exerted by a person's body on a chair, the pressure of tires on the road while driving, and the pressure of a hand pushing down on a table are all examples of contact pressure.

How is pressure from contact surface related to force and area?

Pressure from contact surface is directly proportional to the force being applied and inversely proportional to the area over which the force is distributed. This means that increasing the force or decreasing the contact area will result in a higher pressure from contact surface.