Pressure from Grand Partition

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the pressure from the grand partition function and proving that it is equivalent to (-PV). The grand partition function is defined as the sum of all states and the probability of a specific state is calculated using this function. By rearranging equations and using the ideal gas partition function, the grand potential and chemical potential can be found. Ultimately, the conversation is trying to determine the value of the grand potential.
Rawrzz
Can someone take a look at picture and show me how to derive the pressure from the grand partition function ?

Attachments

• Pic.png
    Pic.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Grand potential ##\Phi_G = -PV##
Grand potential ##Z = e^{-\beta \Phi_G}##

Thus, ##PV = kT ln Z##

Unscietific,

I can't use the fact that the grand potential equals -PV because my goal is to prove that the grand potential in terms of the partition function is equivalent to (-PV).

I know that those sums on the left side must equal (PV/KT) but I don't know the details of how to show it.

Rawrzz said:
Unscietific,

I can't use the fact that the grand potential equals -PV because my goal is to prove that the grand potential in terms of the partition function is equivalent to (-PV).

I know that those sums on the left side must equal (PV/KT) but I don't know the details of how to show it.

The grand partition function is sum of all states ##Z_G = \sum_i e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}## and Probability is i-th state over all possible states: ##P_i = \frac{e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}}{Z_G}##.
[tex]S = -k\sum_i P_i ln P_i = \frac{U - \mu N + kT ln (Z_G)}{T}[/tex]
Rearranging,
[tex]-kT ln (Z_G) = \Phi_G = U - TS - \mu N = F - \mu N[/tex]

Now we must find ##F## and ##\mu##.

Starting with partition function of an ideal gas: ##Z_N = \frac{1}{N!}(\frac{V}{\lambda_{th}^3})^N##, what is ##F##?

Using the below relation, how do you find ##\mu##?

[tex]dF = -pdV - SdT + \mu dN[/tex]
Putting these together, can you find ##\Phi_G##?

Last edited:

The pressure from the grand partition function can be derived by using the following equation:

P = -kT * (∂lnΞ/∂V)

Where P is the pressure, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, V is the volume, and Ξ is the grand partition function.

To derive the pressure from the grand partition function, we first need to understand the concept of the grand partition function. The grand partition function is a mathematical function used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of particles in equilibrium with a reservoir. It takes into account both the number of particles in the system and their energy levels.

To derive the pressure, we need to take the derivative of the natural logarithm of the grand partition function with respect to volume. This is because pressure is defined as the force per unit area, and the change in volume affects the number of particles in the system.

Once we have taken the derivative, we can then multiply it by the Boltzmann constant and temperature to obtain the pressure. This is because the Boltzmann constant relates the macroscopic pressure to the microscopic behavior of individual particles, and temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in the system.

In summary, the pressure from the grand partition function can be derived by taking the derivative of the natural logarithm of the grand partition function with respect to volume and then multiplying it by the Boltzmann constant and temperature.

1. What is pressure from grand partition?

Pressure from grand partition is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the force exerted by a gas on its container due to the random motion of its particles. It is influenced by the number of particles, volume, and temperature of the gas.

2. How is pressure from grand partition calculated?

Pressure from grand partition can be calculated using the formula P = nkT/V, where n is the number of particles, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and V is the volume of the gas.

3. What is the relationship between pressure from grand partition and temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure and temperature are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as temperature increases, pressure also increases. This relationship is also seen in the formula for pressure from grand partition, where an increase in temperature leads to an increase in pressure.

4. How does the number of particles affect pressure from grand partition?

The number of particles in a gas directly affects the pressure from grand partition. As the number of particles increases, the frequency and force of collisions between particles and the container walls also increase, resulting in a higher pressure.

5. What is the significance of pressure from grand partition in thermodynamics?

Pressure from grand partition is an important quantity in thermodynamics as it helps to describe the behavior of gases and their interactions with their surroundings. It is also used in various thermodynamic calculations, such as determining the work done by a gas or the change in internal energy.