What Does Head in Fluid Dynamics Refer To?

In summary: H1 and H2?In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the resultant force and direction on a bend in a pipe with a water flow velocity of 3m/s and a head of 30cm. There is confusion about the definition of head and its reference point, as well as the pressure at the inlet and outlet of the pipe. The Bernoulli equation is mentioned and it is clarified that in this problem, the inlet and outlet are at different elevations and therefore the pressures are not equal. The conversation also mentions the use of the macroscopic momentum balance equation to find the force on the bend.
foo9008

Homework Statement

the water flow in the pipe in upward direction . the pipe with internal diameter 60mm carries water with velocity = 3m/s under head of 30cm . Determine the resultant force on the bend of 70 degree and its direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is what does the head refer to ? from where to where ? red pen refer to from datum to the inlet , blue pen means from inlet to outlet. which is correct , blue or red?

second is is P1 = P2 ? ( assuming no friction loss)

Attachments

• DSC_0593[1].JPG
    DSC_0593[1].JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 414
Likes Pepper Mint
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, for the head you can take the center of the flow lines, so where you wrote the 'circumcircled' F1 and F2

And the pressures are not identical: ##\Delta p = \rho g \Delta h## (Archimedes, Bernoulli)

[edit] Oops, I suppose 'head of 30 cm' refers to the pressure at F1. So at F1 the pressure is ##p = \rho g \times 0.3 {\rm \ m} ##

BvU said:
OK, for the head you can take the center of the flow lines, so where you wrote the 'circumcircled' F1 and F2

And the pressures are not identical: ##\Delta p = \rho g \Delta h## (Archimedes, Bernoulli)

[edit] Oops, I suppose 'head of 30 cm' refers to the pressure at F1. So at F1 the pressure is ##p = \rho g \times 0.3 {\rm \ m} ##
if inlet diameter = outlet diameter , the pressure at both inlet and outlet also not the same ? assuming no friction loss

BvU said:

do you mean the red line is correct?

The head H is defined as ##H=\frac{p}{\rho g}+z##, where z is the elevation above a fixed datum. In this case, the datum for z = 0 is to be taken as the elevation of the pipe inlet (red location). So, at this location, H = 0.3 m. At the outlet, the pressure may be different and, of course, the elevation is different. This datum applies to the entire pipe and bend.

The head H can be interpreted physically as the height to which fluid in a static column would rise above the datum elevation (if the column were attached to the pipe) at any given location along the pipe.

Likes BvU
Chestermiller said:
The head H is defined as ##H=\frac{p}{\rho g}+z##, where z is the elevation above a fixed datum. In this case, the datum for z = 0 is to be taken as the elevation of the pipe inlet (red location). So, at this location, H = 0.3 m. At the outlet, the pressure may be different and, of course, the elevation is different. This datum applies to the entire pipe and bend.

The head H can be interpreted physically as the height to which fluid in a static column would rise above the datum elevation (if the column were attached to the pipe) at any given location along the pipe.
so , the 0.3 refers to the distance of inlet and outlet ? ( blue line ) ?

foo9008 said:
so , the 0.3 refers to the distance of inlet and outlet ? ( blue line ) ?
No.
The 0.3m refers to how high water would rise vertically within a tube that is attached to the pipe at its inlet cross section. There is no tube actually attached there, but, if there were, this is how high the fluid would rise.

Likes Pepper Mint and foo9008
Chestermiller said:
No.
The 0.3m refers to how high water would rise vertically within a tube that is attached to the pipe at its inlet cross section. There is no tube actually attached there, but, if there were, this is how high the fluid would rise.
ok, so the Fx = rho(g)(v2-v1) - P1A1 +P2A2cos(theta) ?
Fx= 1000(0.848)(3cos70 -3) - (0.3)(9.81 x1000)(A1) , but how to find P2 ?

Likes Pepper Mint
foo9008 said:
ok, so the Fx = rho(g)(v2-v1) - P1A1 +P2A2cos(theta) ?
Fx= 1000(0.848)(3cos70 -3) - (0.3)(9.81 x1000)(A1) , but how to find P2 ?
I'm not checking your equation but, if it is a section of pipe in which there is just a bend in the pipe, the assumption is that the exit cross section area is equal to the inlet cross section area. What does the Bernoulli equation tell you about the relationship between P1 and P2? (The equation you are using to find the force is not the Bernoulli equation; it is the macroscopic momentum balance equation). What does the Bernoulli equation tell you about H1 and H2?

Likes Pepper Mint
Chestermiller said:
I'm not checking your equation but, if it is a section of pipe in which there is just a bend in the pipe, the assumption is that the exit cross section area is equal to the inlet cross section area. What does the Bernoulli equation tell you about the relationship between P1 and P2? (The equation you are using to find the force is not the Bernoulli equation; it is the macroscopic momentum balance equation). What does the Bernoulli equation tell you about H1 and H2?
so P 1= P 2?

since bernoullis equation =
P1 / (rho)(g) + z1 + (V1)^2 / 2g = P2 / (rho)(g) + z2 + (V2)^2 / 2g

since Q=Av = constant , cancelling off z and v , P 1= P2 ?

foo9008 said:
so P 1= P 2?

since bernoullis equation =
P1 / (rho)(g) + z1 + (V1)^2 / 2g = P2 / (rho)(g) + z2 + (V2)^2 / 2g

since Q=Av = constant , cancelling off z and v , P 1= P2 ?
No. In this problem, z1 and z2 are not equal. The inlet and outlet are at different elevations. If you rewrite Bernoulli's equation in terms of head H, then
$$H_1+\frac{v_1^2}{2g}=H_2+\frac{v_2^2}{2g}$$
What does this tell you about H1 and H2?

Chestermiller said:
No. In this problem, z1 and z2 are not equal. The inlet and outlet are at different elevations. If you rewrite Bernoulli's equation in terms of head H, then
$$H_1+\frac{v_1^2}{2g}=H_2+\frac{v_2^2}{2g}$$
What does this tell you about H1 and H2?
Like this? Sorry, I am not in front of computer now

Attachments

• 2016-04-06 23.03.07.jpg
    2016-04-06 23.03.07.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 415
foo9008 said:
Like this? Sorry, I am not in front of computer now
Huh?? What are you asking?

Chestermiller said:
H1 - H2 =[ ( (V1 ^2 ) - (V2 ^2) ) / 2g ]
2g(H1 - H2) = (V1 ^2 ) - (V2 ^2)
P1- P2 = (V1 ^2 ) - (V2 ^2) ??
like this ?

Chestermiller said:
i asked my senior , he told me that this is a closed pipe , so the Q =constant , as area for inlet and outlet same velocity = constant (v1=v2) , this act like the hydarulic jack , so the pressure transferred is constant throughout the pipe ... i doubt is the statement correct ? can someone explain ?

foo9008 said:
i asked my senior , he told me that this is a closed pipe , so the Q =constant , as area for inlet and outlet same velocity = constant (v1=v2) , this act like the hydarulic jack , so the pressure transferred is constant throughout the pipe ... i doubt is the statement correct ? can someone explain ?
If that's what he said, it's not correct. Suppose that Q = 0. Certainly your analysis should be able to handle this specific case. If Q = 0, the system is in hydrostatic equilibirum.

Multiple Choice Question:
Which of the following answers are correct for a system in hydrostatic equilibrium (like a hydraulic jack)?

(a) the pressure is uniform throughout
(b) the pressure is constant horizontally
(c) the pressure varies vertically
(d) the head is uniform throughout

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If that's what he said, it's not correct. Suppose that Q = 0. Certainly your analysis should be able to handle this specific case. If Q = 0, the system is in hydrostatic equilibirum.

Multiple Choice Question:
Which of the following answers are correct for a system in hydrostatic equilibrium (like a hydraulic jack)?

(a) the pressure is uniform throughout
(b) the pressure is constant horizontally
(c) the pressure varies vertically
(d) the head is uniform throughout

Chet
for MCQ , my ans is (a) the pressure is uniform throughout
so , the conclusion is P1 are not the same with P2 ?
relationship between P1 and P2 must b e

foo9008 said:
for MCQ , my ans is (a) the pressure is uniform throughout
so , the conclusion is P1 are not the same with P2 ?
relationship between P1 and P2 must b e
(b), (c), and (d) are all correct. (a) is incorrect.

Chestermiller said:
(b), (c), and (d) are all correct. (a) is incorrect.
in hydraulic jack , why the pressure isn't uniform throughout ? the hydarulic jack has the same pressure at both ends , enabling the small force applied to carry big force , right ?

foo9008 said:
in hydraulic jack , why the pressure isn't uniform throughout ? the hydarulic jack has the same pressure at both ends , enabling the small force applied to carry big force , right ?
In a system at hydrostatic equilibrium, does the pressure increase with depth or doesn't it? Why should the pressure within a hydraulic jack be uniform?

Chestermiller said:
In a system at hydrostatic equilibrium, does the pressure increase with depth or doesn't it? Why should the pressure within a hydraulic jack be uniform?
i mean the pressure is constant at both ends

Chestermiller said:
maybe i heard it wrongly . i forgt he gt said 'hydraulic jacks' or not , but most importantly , he stressed that , the Q is constant (not equal to 0 ) , so v1 = v2 , leading to P1 = P2 (consequence of bernoulli's principle)

foo9008 said:
i mean the pressure is constant at both ends
Only if the two ends are at the same elevation. Otherwise, there is a difference in the pressures. In analyzing a hydraulic jack, we usually neglect the hydrostatic pressure variations in the vertical direction because they are small compared to the applied pressure. In your problem, this is not the case. Otherwise, they wouldn't show the inlet and outlet at different elevations. Of course, at hydrostatic equilibrium, the hydraulic head is independent of vertical location, and is thus uniform.

foo9008 said:
maybe i heard it wrongly . i forgt he gt said 'hydraulic jacks' or not , but most importantly , he stressed that , the Q is constant (not equal to 0 ) , so v1 = v2 , leading to P1 = P2 (consequence of bernoulli's principle)
Bernoulli's principle does not predict this. You left out the z terms.

Chestermiller said:
Bernoulli's principle does not predict this. You left out the z terms.
ok , so
relationship between P1 and P2 is
am i correct ?

foo9008 said:
ok , so
relationship between P1 and P2 is
am i correct ?
No. $$H_1-H_2=\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}+(z_1-z_2)$$
You need to get the algebra correct and you need to include the elevations.
Also,
H1 - H2 =[ ( (V2 ^2 ) - (V1 ^2) ) / 2g ]

Last edited:
For this problem, I think that they expect you to neglect the change in elevation between inlet and outlet. Why? Because they don't even tell you what these elevations are. They also expect you to neglect the weight of the water in the pipe bend in determining the vertical force on the bend, because they don't even give you enough information to determine the weight. So, if the effect of the change in elevation is negligible, you can neglect the elevation terms, and you can take the inlet and outlet pressures as being essentially equal.

chet

1. What causes pressure in a bent pipe?

The pressure in a bent pipe is caused by the resistance of the fluid flowing through the pipe. As the fluid encounters the bend, it experiences a change in direction, which creates a force that pushes against the walls of the pipe, resulting in pressure.

2. How does pressure change in a bent pipe?

The pressure in a bent pipe typically increases on the inside of the bend and decreases on the outside. This is due to the centrifugal force acting on the fluid as it travels through the curved section of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the amount of pressure in a bent pipe?

The amount of pressure in a bent pipe is influenced by several factors, including the fluid's velocity, density, and viscosity, as well as the diameter and angle of the bend in the pipe.

4. How can I calculate the pressure in a bent pipe?

The pressure in a bent pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity, density, and pressure at different points in the pipe. Alternatively, specialized software or experimental data can be used to determine the pressure in a bent pipe.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding pressure in a bent pipe?

Understanding pressure in a bent pipe is crucial for various industries, such as plumbing, hydraulics, and oil and gas. It allows for the efficient design of pipes and systems, as well as troubleshooting and maintenance to ensure smooth flow and prevent potential failures due to excessive pressure.