Pressure in a Lake: Find Depth for 4.5 atm

In summary, the problem asks to find the depth at which water pressure in a freshwater lake is equal to 4.5 atm, given that air pressure at the surface is 1 atm. Using the equations P=a+hgp and h=(P-a)/(g*p), the correct answer is 35.71 meters. To avoid errors, it is important to convert all values to pascals and ensure that the density of freshwater is in kg/m3.
Manda_24

Homework Statement

At the surface of a freshwater lake the air pressure is 1 atm. At what depth under water in the lake is the water pressure 4.5 atm?

Homework Equations

P=a+hgp
h=(P-a)/(g*p)

The Attempt at a Solution

h=(4.5x105 - 1x105)/(9.8*1000)=35.71
I also did the equation with 9,000 Pa converted to atm, which I think it what I'm supposed to do but I still get the incorrect answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert everything to pascals before using the equations. Also, be sure that the density you have for freshwater is in kg/m3. I'm not seeing anything wrong in your method, so I'm assuming the problem is in the units.

"h=(4.5x105 - 1x105)/(9.8*1000)=35.71" Appears to be correct. If I am not mistaken, 10 m of water is roughly = to 1 atm. But, I am not 100% sure off the top of my head. If that's the case, it would make sense that 35 m of water would be about 3.5 atm plus the 1 atm from the atmosphere = 4.5 atm.

If you know, what is the answer supposed to be?

Gear300 said:
Convert everything to pascals before using the equations. Also, be sure that the density you have for freshwater is in kg/m3. I'm not seeing anything wrong in your method, so I'm assuming the problem is in the units.

Thanks, I just needed to convert the top to pascals, I thought I only had to do it to the bottom.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. In the context of a lake, it refers to the weight of the water above a certain depth.

2. How is pressure measured?

In a lake, pressure is typically measured in units of atmospheres (atm) or pounds per square inch (psi). Other units such as pascals (Pa) or kilopascals (kPa) may also be used.

3. What factors affect pressure in a lake?

The depth of the lake, the density of the water, and the gravitational pull of the Earth are all factors that affect pressure in a lake. In addition, temperature and atmospheric conditions can also play a role.

4. How is depth determined from pressure in a lake?

The depth of a lake can be calculated using the equation: depth = (pressure at that depth) / (density of water x gravitational constant). By rearranging the equation, we can find the depth for a given pressure.

5. Why is it important to know the depth of a lake based on pressure?

Knowing the depth of a lake based on pressure can provide valuable information for various purposes, such as determining the available volume of water, monitoring changes in water levels, and understanding the effects of pressure on aquatic life. It can also help with safety measures for activities such as diving or fishing.