1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in a manometer

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hello,

In this problem, and with problems dealing with pressures in manometers in general, I'm wondering if to calculate the pressure at any given point, you just look at what is above that point. For example, at Point C, there is 12 feet of mercury and 12.65 feet of oil on top of it, as well as the atmosphere. Does that mean that to find the pressure at point C, I just add in the ρgh from the 12 ft of mercury and the other ρgh from the oil as well as the P_atm?

For the pressure at point A, I know that its filled with water up to that point, so the water must be counteracting that 12 feet of mercury and 12.65 feet of oil, but where do I include the actual water pressure itself in here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pressures at points B and C must be the same. Using the dimensions from the diagram, you can work back to find the pressure at point A.

A quick note about your calculations: fresh water has a weight of 62.4 lbf / cu. ft., not lbm. Multiplication of the amount of water displaced by g = 32.2 ft/s^2 is not necessary.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Is my calculation incorrect then? I would then say the pressure of water is equal to the components on the right side i.e. the mercury, oil, and atmosphere.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Numerically, the calculation appears OK, because you have multiplied by 32.2 and divided by 32.2. I was pointing out that your assumed units for the weight density of the water was already in lbf rather than lbm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted