Understanding Pressure in a Manometer: Calculating Pressure at Various Points

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating pressure at different points in a manometer and how to include the different components, such as mercury, oil, and atmosphere. It is mentioned that for point A, the water must be counteracting the weight of the mercury and oil above it, but it is unclear where to include the actual water pressure. The conversation also notes that the pressures at points B and C must be the same and provides a quick note about using the correct units for weight density in calculations.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Hello,

In this problem, and with problems dealing with pressures in manometers in general, I'm wondering if to calculate the pressure at any given point, you just look at what is above that point. For example, at Point C, there is 12 feet of mercury and 12.65 feet of oil on top of it, as well as the atmosphere. Does that mean that to find the pressure at point C, I just add in the ρgh from the 12 ft of mercury and the other ρgh from the oil as well as the P_atm?

For the pressure at point A, I know that its filled with water up to that point, so the water must be counteracting that 12 feet of mercury and 12.65 feet of oil, but where do I include the actual water pressure itself in here?

Attachments

• 1.3 attempt 1.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1.3.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
The pressures at points B and C must be the same. Using the dimensions from the diagram, you can work back to find the pressure at point A.

A quick note about your calculations: fresh water has a weight of 62.4 lbf / cu. ft., not lbm. Multiplication of the amount of water displaced by g = 32.2 ft/s^2 is not necessary.

Is my calculation incorrect then? I would then say the pressure of water is equal to the components on the right side i.e. the mercury, oil, and atmosphere.

Numerically, the calculation appears OK, because you have multiplied by 32.2 and divided by 32.2. I was pointing out that your assumed units for the weight density of the water was already in lbf rather than lbm.

Hello,

To calculate the pressure at any given point in a manometer, you are correct in looking at the fluid (or fluids) above that point. In this case, at point C, you would add the ρgh from the 12 feet of mercury and the 12.65 feet of oil, as well as the atmospheric pressure (P_atm). This will give you the total pressure at point C.

For point A, you would also include the ρgh from the 12 feet of mercury and 12.65 feet of oil, but you would also need to consider the pressure from the water column above it. This can be calculated using the same formula, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column. Adding this pressure to the pressure from the other fluids will give you the total pressure at point A.

It's important to remember that in a manometer, the pressure at any given point is equal to the sum of the pressure from all the fluids above that point, as well as the atmospheric pressure. I hope this helps clarify the process for calculating pressure in a manometer. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the pressure of a gas or liquid. It consists of a U-shaped glass tube filled with a liquid, typically mercury or water, and a scale to measure the height of the liquid in the tube.

How does a manometer work?

A manometer works by comparing the pressure of a gas or liquid to the pressure of the atmosphere. The liquid in the tube will rise or fall depending on the difference in pressure, and this can be measured using a scale on the tube.

What is the difference between a closed-end and open-end manometer?

A closed-end manometer has one end sealed, and the other end is open to the atmosphere. This type of manometer is used to measure gauge pressure. An open-end manometer has both ends open, and it is used to measure absolute pressure.

What are the units of measurement for pressure in a manometer?

The units of measurement for pressure in a manometer can vary, but they are typically expressed in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or centimeters of water (cmH2O). Other units such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi) may also be used.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a manometer reading?

The accuracy of a manometer reading can be affected by several factors, including the type of liquid used, the temperature and density of the liquid, and the precision of the scale. Changes in atmospheric pressure and the level of the liquid in the reservoir can also impact the accuracy of the reading.