How Does Pipe Configuration Affect Pressure in a Fluid System?

In summary: So you are correct. Sorry for the confusion.In summary, the system shown in the figure has a mean velocity of 2.55 m/s and a gauge pressure of 49,000.95 Pa at losses neglected. By considering major losses only, the pressure at point 1 is 165917.217 Pa. By including all losses within the system, the pressure at point 1 is 209763.27 Pa. The minor head loss was calculated to be 4.474 m.
teegfit
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

The system shown in the figure below consists of L = 60 m of D = 50 mm diameter cast iron pipe (k/D = 0.004), two 45° flanged long radius elbows (K = 0.25) and four 90° flanged long radius elbows (K = 0.5), a fully open flanged globe valve (K = 10) and a sharp exit (K = 1.0) into a reservoir. The elevation at point 1 Z1 = 0 m and at point 2, the free surface within the reservoir, Z2 = 5 m. The volume flow rate of water (ρ = 999 kg/m3 and µ =0.0012 Ns/m2 ) delivered by the system to the reservoir Q = 0.005 m3 /s.
Determine the gauge pressure at point 1 and:
(i) all losses within the system are neglected,
(ii) major losses only are included,
(iii) all losses within the system are included.My solution:
Firstly i calculated the mean velocity,V, by dividing the volume flow rate, Q, by the cross sectional area of the pipe which i calculated to be using the diameter,D, (1.96E-3) and therefore the velocity is 2.55 m/s.

And I calculated the pressure by using (P1-P2)=(denisty)(gravity(g))(Z2-Z1) and assumed P2 to be zero. therefore pressure 1 is 49,000.95 Pa, at loses neglected. i)

I then calculated the reynolds number of the pipe by the formula ((denistyxVxD)/(dynamic viscosity)) giving me a reynolds number of 106143.75.

Then at k/D .004 and reynolds 1E5 on the moody diagram to find a friction factor,f, of .03 which i put into the formula headloss due to friction,hfmajor, = f(L/D)((V^2)/2(g)) giving me a headloss of 11.93 m which i put into the formula P1=(density)(g)(z2+hfmajor) to give me 165917.217 pa ii)

I found the minor head loss,hfminor, by using =(k1+k2 etc.)((V^2)/2(g)) getting a headloss minor of 4.474 and plugging this back into the equation P1=(density)(g)(Z2 + hfmajor +hfminor) to get an answer of 209763.27 Pa iii)

I am posting this here as i want to ensure my methology is right as i have an exam in mechanics of fluids on monday

Thank you very much for your help

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
teegfit said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

The system shown in the figure below consists of L = 60 m of D = 50 mm diameter cast iron pipe (k/D = 0.004), two 45° flanged long radius elbows (K = 0.25) and four 90° flanged long radius elbows (K = 0.5), a fully open flanged globe valve (K = 10) and a sharp exit (K = 1.0) into a reservoir. The elevation at point 1 Z1 = 0 m and at point 2, the free surface within the reservoir, Z2 = 5 m. The volume flow rate of water (ρ = 999 kg/m3 and µ =0.0012 Ns/m2 ) delivered by the system to the reservoir Q = 0.005 m3 /s.
Determine the gauge pressure at point 1 and:
(i) all losses within the system are neglected,
(ii) major losses only are included,
(iii) all losses within the system are included.My solution:
Firstly i calculated the mean velocity,V, by dividing the volume flow rate, Q, by the cross sectional area of the pipe which i calculated to be using the diameter,D, (1.96E-3) and therefore the velocity is 2.55 m/s.

And I calculated the pressure by using (P1-P2)=(denisty)(gravity(g))(Z2-Z1) and assumed P2 to be zero. therefore pressure 1 is 49,000.95 Pa, at loses neglected. i)

I then calculated the reynolds number of the pipe by the formula ((denistyxVxD)/(dynamic viscosity)) giving me a reynolds number of 106143.75.

Then at k/D .004 and reynolds 1E5 on the moody diagram to find a friction factor,f, of .03 which i put into the formula headloss due to friction,hfmajor, = f(L/D)((V^2)/2(g)) giving me a headloss of 11.93 m which i put into the formula P1=(density)(g)(z2+hfmajor) to give me 165917.217 pa ii)
I agree with your calculations to this point.
I found the minor head loss,hfminor, by using =(k1+k2 etc.)((V^2)/2(g)) getting a headloss minor of 4.474 and plugging this back into the equation P1=(density)(g)(Z2 + hfmajor +hfminor) to get an answer of 209763.27 Pa iii)

I don't get the minor head loss of 4.474 m. You might want to check your arithmetic here.

Likes teegfit
I rechecked my arithmetic and have calculated the same answer. I did this by:

(2(.25)+4(.5)+10+1)(((2.55)^2)/2(9.81)) = 4.4742 m
^(k values added) ^(velocity squared over 2 x gravity)

I could have this wrong

teegfit said:
I rechecked my arithmetic and have calculated the same answer. I did this by:

(2(.25)+4(.5)+10+1)(((2.55)^2)/2(9.81)) = 4.4742 m
^(k values added) ^(velocity squared over 2 x gravity)

I could have this wrong
Nope, it was my mistake. I thought the open globe valve had a K = 1.0 instead of K = 10.0.

What is pressure in a pipe system?

Pressure in a pipe system is the force exerted by a fluid against the walls of a pipe. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

How is pressure calculated in a pipe system?

Pressure in a pipe system can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is the pressure (in psi or kPa), F is the force exerted by the fluid (in pounds or newtons), and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe (in square inches or square meters).

What factors affect pressure in a pipe system?

The pressure in a pipe system can be affected by several factors, including the flow rate of the fluid, the size and shape of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the pipe.

How does pressure change in a pipe system?

Pressure in a pipe system can change due to a variety of factors, such as changes in flow rate, changes in elevation, or changes in the properties of the fluid. In general, pressure will decrease as the fluid moves through the pipe due to friction and other losses.

What are the consequences of high or low pressure in a pipe system?

High or low pressure in a pipe system can lead to various issues, such as leaks, burst pipes, or damage to equipment. It can also affect the performance of the system, leading to reduced efficiency or flow rate. It is important to maintain proper pressure levels to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the system.