What is the Net Pressure in a Syringe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure inside a syringe when a nurse applies a force of 4.35 N to the piston. The piston has an area of 5.99x10-5m2 and the answer is expected in kPa. The solution involves using the equation P = F/A and after converting to the correct units, the pressure is found to be 36.31 kPa. There was some confusion with the problem and the TA's explanation, but the correct solution was eventually found.
Manda_24

Homework Statement

A nurse applies a force 4.35 N to the piston of a syringe. The piston has an area of 5.99x10-5m2. What is the pressure in the fluid within the syringe? Answer in kPa.

Homework Equations

mg/2A=[tex]\Delta[/tex]P

The Attempt at a Solution

4.35/2*5.99x10-5= 36310.518 Pa converted to 36.31 kPa

I thought I was doing this right but the program isn't accepting my answer. Is there something that I did wrong? I've been having all sorts of issues with this assignment that I thought was fairly easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think pressure is just force/area

Thanks, that was right. My TA told the class that this one was just like one of our other problems but it isn't, that was part of my problem.

Net pressure in the fluid with in the syringe is
P = Pressure in side the syringe - atmospheric pressure out side the syringe.

1. What is the definition of pressure in a syringe?

Pressure in a syringe is the force applied by the fluid inside the syringe on the walls of the syringe. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How does pressure affect the movement of a syringe plunger?

The pressure inside a syringe determines the force that is applied to the plunger. If the pressure is higher, the force will be greater, causing the plunger to move faster. If the pressure is lower, the force will be lower, resulting in a slower movement of the plunger.

3. What factors can affect the pressure in a syringe?

The pressure in a syringe can be affected by various factors such as the amount and type of fluid inside the syringe, the size and shape of the syringe, and the force applied to the plunger. Temperature and altitude can also affect the pressure in a syringe.

4. Why is it important to maintain a consistent pressure in a syringe?

Maintaining a consistent pressure in a syringe is important for accurate and precise measurements and for controlling the flow of fluid inside the syringe. In medical settings, maintaining a consistent pressure is crucial for administering the correct dosage of medication.

5. How can the pressure in a syringe be changed?

The pressure in a syringe can be changed by adjusting the force applied to the plunger or by changing the amount or type of fluid inside the syringe. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and altitude.