Understand Pressure in Fluids: Conceptual Guide

In summary, pressure in a fluid is dependent on the depth within the fluid, but the forces due to pressure act in all directions at a given depth. This means that there is a net force acting on an object at a specific depth, with horizontal forces canceling out. Pascal's principle states that pressure is evenly distributed throughout a fluid, but this is only approximately true due to the finite size and mass of fluid molecules. In fluid motion, the assumption of zero frictional pressure loss requires a pressure gradient to move the fluid. The pressure exerted by a fluid on the top and bottom walls of a tube may be different, but this is often neglected.
gazeem
I'm looking for a conceptual understanding of pressure in fluid.

According to what I've gathered, in static fluid, the pressure at any point in the fluid depends on the depth within the fluid, because there is more fluid weighing down on an object the deeper into the fluid it is. However, for some reason, the forces due to pressure are acting in every direction, which means at a given depth, the net force acting on an object would be the pressure*SurfaceArea at the bottom of the object - the pressure*surfaceArea at the top of the object, and horizontal forces would cancel out because they're going in opposite directions and there's no difference in pressure horizontally through a fluid.

A question I have though:
a) If Pascal's principle is true that pressure is evenly distributed throughout a fluid, what does this really mean if at different heights within a fluid, there is a different amount of pressure? Is the pressure being exerted on a particular point of the side of the fluid container greater than the pressure exerted on a lower point on the side of the fluid container?

Further, what I don't understand then is pressure in fluid in motion. Regarding a (steady-flow, nonviscous) fluid flowing through a horizontal tube, my questions are:

b) How is the fluid moving in a direction? How come the horizontal forces due to pressure in this case don't cancel out horizontally like they do in static fluid? Or is the pressure referred to in things like Bernoulli's equation referring to the pressure the fluid exerts on the tube and not the pressure within the fluid?
c) Is the pressure the fluid exerts on the top wall of the tube less than the force it exerts on the bottom wall of the tube? Or does something about the fact that it is moving cause the pressure to be equal throughout.

Even if you don't explicitly answer all my questions, if someone could provide maybe an evident gap in my understand that's causing my misunderstandings I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
gazeem said:
A question I have though:
a) If Pascal's principle is true that pressure is evenly distributed throughout a fluid, what does this really mean if at different heights within a fluid, there is a different amount of pressure?
The basic answer to both questions/examples is that "fluid pressure is the same in all directions" is only approximately true/applicable. Real fluids are made of molecules of finite size and mass and the force above is smaller than the force below by the weight of the molecule.

For fluids in motion, the assumption requires zero frictional pressure loss in the flow.

@russ_watters fluid mechanics assumes the fluid to be viewed as a continuum of matter. Navier-Stokes equations fail to the describe the motion of a fluid at the atomic scale as far as I know. In the assumption of continuum mechanics, pressure is a scalar quantity thus it has to be independent of direction. If we are considering a single molecule then what does pressure even mean ?

Not an expert but I'll try my best to answer.

According to wikipedia:
Pascal's law (also Pascal's principle or the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure) is a principle in fluid mechanics given by Blaise Pascal that states that a pressure change at any point in a confined [/u]incompressible fluid[/u] is transmitted throughout the fluid such that the same change occurs everywhere.
Here we are talking about changes in pressure, not the value of pressure itself. This is a consequence of thinking the fluid as incompressible.

gazeem said:
b) How is the fluid moving in a direction?
It depends. If the fluid is moving at constant velocity then the resultant force acting on it must vanish. If there is no viscous drag you don not need a pressure gradient to move the fluid Just like you do not need to push a rock in free space. You need a pressure gradient because in the real world there is always viscous friction which opposes the motion of the fluid.

gazeem said:
c) Is the pressure the fluid exerts on the top wall of the tube less than the force it exerts on the bottom wall of the tube?
Technically yes. But most of the time you neglect this little contribution (especially for little tubes).

The reason that the pressure is the same horizontally at a given depth as vertically: Picture squeezing a water balloon from above and below. What happens sideways?

Pressure is the same in all directions at a given point in a fluid. It is present throughout the fluid, both at the walls and internally.

1. What is pressure in fluids?

Pressure in fluids is the force exerted by a fluid on the walls of its container. It is caused by the constant collisions of fluid molecules with the container's surface.

2. How is pressure in fluids measured?

Pressure in fluids is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). It can be measured using instruments such as pressure gauges or manometers.

3. What factors affect pressure in fluids?

The pressure in fluids is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth or height of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by external forces, such as applied pressure or changes in temperature.

4. What is Pascal's principle and how does it relate to pressure in fluids?

Pascal's principle states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that an increase in pressure at one point in a fluid will result in an equal increase in pressure at all other points in the fluid. This principle is important in understanding how hydraulic systems work.

5. How does pressure in fluids affect objects submerged in them?

Objects submerged in fluids experience a force called buoyancy, which is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object and can either push the object up (if it is less dense than the fluid) or push it down (if it is more dense than the fluid).