• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Pressure in tank

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date

Homework Statement

in this question , the author stated that the P1 = P atm , but at point 1 , the gas tank is not open to the atmosphere, it is a closed tank . so , is the author wrong ? again , at point 2 , the tank isn't open to atmosphere, why it is P2= P atm ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
Why might the two pressures be P atm? Can you think of any reason? How does the small diameter hose reach the liquids?

Why might the two pressures be P atm? Can you think of any reason? How does the small diameter hose reach the liquids?
i dont think P1 and P2 = P atm .....

gneill
Mentor
i dont think P1 and P2 = P atm .....
I understand that. But can you think of any way that they could?

I understand that. But can you think of any way that they could?
for P1 = P2 = P atm , the tank is not closed?

gneill
Mentor
for P1 = P2 = P atm , the tank is not closed?
Correct. How does the hose enter each tank?

upload_2016-4-8_10-59-47.png

Correct. How does the hose enter each tank?

View attachment 98796
at point 1 , it is immersed in the gas tank , while the point 2 is at the hole only , not completely immersed . What are you trying to tell ?

gneill
Mentor
at point 1 , it is immersed in the gas tank , while the point 2 is at the hole only , not completely immersed . What are you trying to tell ?
I'm pointing out that neither tank is sealed. Both are open to the atmosphere through their filling apertures. The siphon hose does not make an air-tight seal at either opening.

I'm pointing out that neither tank is sealed. Both are open to the atmosphere through their filling apertures. The siphon hose does not make an air-tight seal at either opening.
if that is air-tight selaed , then the pressure acting would not be P atm anymore , am i right ?

gneill
Mentor
if that is air-tight selaed , then the pressure acting would not be P atm anymore , am i right ?
Sure. It might start out at P atm at the moment a seal was made though.

But there is no seal mentioned in the problem statement. The assumption is that, as in the real-life situation for siphoning gas in this manner, the hose fits loosely through the gas cap opening and down into the liquid.