1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in Wind Tunnel Test Section

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a fairly simple wind tunnel question but I cannot seem to connect the pieces.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a low speed one-circuit wind tunnel with an inlet to throat ratio of 12. The pressure difference between the inlet and the test section was measured to be 10 centimeters of mercury on a U-tube mercury manometer. Calculate the velocity in the tunnel test section. Also, compute the total pressure in the test section.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the pressure?

3. The attempt at a solution

With the aid of Bernoulli's equation and equation of continuity, I was able to determine the velocity in the test area to be 147 m/s. With the equation of continuity, the velocity in the settling chamber is 12.25 m/s.

Using this, I'm able to solve about 1/2 of Bernoulli's equation, but I am still left with two pressure terms, and therefore, am unable to solve for the total pressure in the test section.

Thanks.

A hint would be much appreciated,
    Sunny

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted