1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure law (how they combined to get pv/t)

1. Dec 29, 2004 #1

Mo

Well .. i guess the question is in the title.I basically dont understand how they combined :

P/T = Constant

with

P . V = Constant to make P . V / T = Constant

i can guess

P/T = P . V which means P = P . V. T .. ummm help please!

Regards,
    Mo

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2004 #2
    there is one more law your missing.

V/T=constant

don't assume all the constants are equal either. Each one of those constants are different from the other.

If we know that P varies Directly with T and that V varies directly with T than PV varies directly with T.

So you get PV/T=constant. The constant in this equation absorbs the other three. Yeah I know it's a bad explanation. I understand it in my mind perfectly but I don't know how to explain it any better for now.

4. Dec 29, 2004 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to consider the complete expression of the Ideal Gas Law to understand the constants.

PV = nRT

So when you say PV = Constant you are saying that nRT, is a constant. The only true constant here is R, n is the number of moles of material present. Clearly the statement PV = C is only true in very special conditions. That is when the amount of material (number of atoms) present is constant and the Temperature is constant.

To say the [itex] \frac P T = C [/itex] is to say that [itex] \frac {nR} V =C[/itex].

5. Dec 29, 2004 #4

Mo

Ah yes.Thank you for your answers.The questions i am attemtping are rather easy and so they dont consider the amount of moles and molar mass and all of that stuff. Next section :)

Regards,
    Mo

6. Dec 29, 2004 #5

Integral. What your doing is reverse engineering a problem. Charles' Law and Boyle's Law were found before the ideal gas law and he wants to know how they combined that to get [itex] \frac {PV} T = C [/itex].

It's like where you know the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the distance squared.

How do you combine that to get [tex] F_g = G \frac {m_1 m_2} {r^2} [/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?