Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a diver is 10X

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    I want to find when the pressure of a diver is 10X that when she is on the surface of the ocean. I know that at the surface, the diver experiences a pressure of 1 atm. But how do I go about finding the pressure under water? Do I have to consider teh partial pressure of water?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2

Staff: Mentor

Its a piece of cake really. Air pressure is due to the weight of a column of air pushing down on you. Water pressure works the same way (though a little easier since water is essentially incompressible). So all you need to do is calculate the weight of that column of water at a specific depth. Its the volume times the density. (the weight density of water is 62.4 lb/ft^3)
  4. Oct 19, 2003 #3
    But also the density of water is 1,000 kg/litre by definition. And 1 Atm = a column of 76 cm of Hg (Torricelli) with a density of 13,6 kg/l. Now, how high would that column be if the Hg was to be replaced by water?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?