1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a diver is 10X

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    I want to find when the pressure of a diver is 10X that when she is on the surface of the ocean. I know that at the surface, the diver experiences a pressure of 1 atm. But how do I go about finding the pressure under water? Do I have to consider teh partial pressure of water?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its a piece of cake really. Air pressure is due to the weight of a column of air pushing down on you. Water pressure works the same way (though a little easier since water is essentially incompressible). So all you need to do is calculate the weight of that column of water at a specific depth. Its the volume times the density. (the weight density of water is 62.4 lb/ft^3)

4. Oct 19, 2003 #3
    But also the density of water is 1,000 kg/litre by definition. And 1 Atm = a column of 76 cm of Hg (Torricelli) with a density of 13,6 kg/l. Now, how high would that column be if the Hg was to be replaced by water?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook