1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a liquid in a vat

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1

jkb

A 1.90 m-diameter vat of liquid is 2.70 m deep. The pressure at the bottom of the vat is 1.30 atm. What is the mass of the liquid in the vat?

I found the density of the fluid but now I'm stuck and I really cant get my mind around this even though i know its going to turn out being so easy...thanks the help in advance!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Density is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

so you need to determine the volume of liquid in the vat.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3

jkb

Well, since a vat can isn't necessarily a cylinder how would I go about doing that? I tried to assume the vat was a cylinder and found that volume but the answer wasn't correct.

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    why do you say that? what makes you think it is not a cylinder?

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5

jkb

Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i dont think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...

7. Sep 18, 2006 #6
    oops, nevermind me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  8. Sep 18, 2006 #7
    well the problem stated that there was a diameter and a depth IE an cylinder. can you show us your work?

9. Sep 19, 2006 #8

andrevdh

Homework Helper

It is not really sensible to talk of a diameter if it changes. Unless there is a mathematical formula for calculating the volume of such a vat shaped object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?