Pressure of a liquid in a vat

jkb

A 1.90 m-diameter vat of liquid is 2.70 m deep. The pressure at the bottom of the vat is 1.30 atm. What is the mass of the liquid in the vat?

I found the density of the fluid but now I'm stuck and I really cant get my mind around this even though i know its going to turn out being so easy...thanks the help in advance!

Last edited:

andrevdh

Homework Helper
Density is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

so you need to determine the volume of liquid in the vat.

jkb

Well, since a vat can isn't necessarily a cylinder how would I go about doing that? I tried to assume the vat was a cylinder and found that volume but the answer wasn't correct.

why do you say that? what makes you think it is not a cylinder?

jkb

Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i dont think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...

oops, nevermind me

Last edited:
jkb said:
Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i dont think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...
well the problem stated that there was a diameter and a depth IE an cylinder. can you show us your work?

andrevdh

Homework Helper
It is not really sensible to talk of a diameter if it changes. Unless there is a mathematical formula for calculating the volume of such a vat shaped object.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving