Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pressure of a liquid in a vat

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1

jkb

A 1.90 m-diameter vat of liquid is 2.70 m deep. The pressure at the bottom of the vat is 1.30 atm. What is the mass of the liquid in the vat?

I found the density of the fluid but now I'm stuck and I really cant get my mind around this even though i know its going to turn out being so easy...thanks the help in advance!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Density is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

so you need to determine the volume of liquid in the vat.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3

jkb

Well, since a vat can isn't necessarily a cylinder how would I go about doing that? I tried to assume the vat was a cylinder and found that volume but the answer wasn't correct.

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    why do you say that? what makes you think it is not a cylinder?

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5

jkb

Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i dont think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...

7. Sep 18, 2006 #6
    oops, nevermind me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  8. Sep 18, 2006 #7
    well the problem stated that there was a diameter and a depth IE an cylinder. can you show us your work?

9. Sep 19, 2006 #8

andrevdh

Homework Helper

It is not really sensible to talk of a diameter if it changes. Unless there is a mathematical formula for calculating the volume of such a vat shaped object.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook