Calculating Liquid Mass in a Vat with Varying Diameter and Depth

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of liquid in a 1.90 m-diameter and 2.70 m-deep vat with a pressure of 1.30 atm at the bottom. The individual initially struggles with determining the volume of the liquid, but eventually realizes that the vat is likely a cylinder and uses the volume of a cylinder formula to find the volume. However, the calculated mass is incorrect, leading to confusion and the realization that there may be a different formula for calculating the volume of a non-cylindrical vat.
jkb
A 1.90 m-diameter vat of liquid is 2.70 m deep. The pressure at the bottom of the vat is 1.30 atm. What is the mass of the liquid in the vat?

I found the density of the fluid but now I'm stuck and I really can't get my mind around this even though i know its going to turn out being so easy...thanks the help in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Density is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

so you need to determine the volume of liquid in the vat.

Well, since a vat can isn't necessarily a cylinder how would I go about doing that? I tried to assume the vat was a cylinder and found that volume but the answer wasn't correct.

why do you say that? what makes you think it is not a cylinder?

Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i don't think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...

oops, nevermind me

Last edited:
jkb said:
Well i used the volume of a cylinder formula and found the volume and then using the density i found the mass but that answer was incorrect and i don't think i made any mistakes in the calculation so that's where i got stuck...
well the problem stated that there was a diameter and a depth IE an cylinder. can you show us your work?

It is not really sensible to talk of a diameter if it changes. Unless there is a mathematical formula for calculating the volume of such a vat shaped object.

What is the pressure of a liquid in a vat?

The pressure of a liquid in a vat is the force exerted by the weight of the liquid on the bottom surface of the vat. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

How is the pressure of a liquid in a vat calculated?

The pressure of a liquid in a vat can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in pascals, ρ is the density of the liquid in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, and h is the height of the liquid in meters.

What factors affect the pressure of a liquid in a vat?

The pressure of a liquid in a vat is affected by the density of the liquid, the height of the liquid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also influenced by external factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure.

How does the pressure of a liquid in a vat change with depth?

The pressure of a liquid in a vat increases with depth due to the increasing weight of the liquid above. This relationship is known as Pascal's law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to depth in a static fluid.

Why is it important to understand the pressure of a liquid in a vat?

Understanding the pressure of a liquid in a vat is important in various industries, such as engineering and manufacturing, where precise pressure measurements are needed for proper functioning of machinery and equipment. It is also crucial for safety purposes, as changes in pressure can indicate potential leaks or malfunctions in a system.